none
Moving from VS 2008 to VS 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We have a reporting tool which is a WinForms application with the 9.0 Microsoft.ReportViewer.Winforms.dll using local reports. We pull the data from our SQL 2005 database into a dataset with multiple datatables using a dataadapter which makes a single stored procedure call which returns multiple return sets. We then map the reports datasources to the individual datatables in the dataset.

We are considering a move to VS 2010. I've installed VS 2010, and see that if I create a form and add a report viewer to it, it adds a reference to the 10.0 version of the Microsoft.ReportViewer.Winforms.dll.

1) What will happen when I open this project from VS 2010 and allow it to upgrade? Will the references change?

2) Is there a list of changes between 9.0 and 10.0 versions of the Microsoft.ReportViewer.Winforms.dll?

3) Will our rdlc files be changed at all during the upgrade, and if not, is there something we should do to upgrade them?

4) Given my description of how we fill our reports, do you see any obvious problems in upgrading to VS 2010 and ReportViewer 10.0?

Monday, August 30, 2010 7:25 PM

Answers

• 1) References will not change with a project upgrade. You'll need to do this manually after you upgrade the project.

2) See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee960138.aspx for a brief summary of the changes.

3) To upgrade your RDLC files to the 2008 RDLC schema, just open the file in VS and you'll be asked to upgrade.

4) Make sure you are targeting .NET 3.5 (SP1) or .NET 4. The 2010 ReportViewer only supports these two versions. See the link provided to see all the new features in the new viewer.

Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 8:07 PM