locked
Application crash on other devices

    Question

  • Hi all,

    I've a little and maybe hard to answer question about my application. I've a XAML application written in C++. The app runs fine on my tablet with Win8 RP 8400.

    When I deploy the application (Local AppPackage) to another pc (WITHOUT Visual Studio Express 2012) it crashes immediately after the splash screen. The eventViewer shows me this:

     Faulting application name: APPLICATION.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ffafe68
     Faulting module name: APPLICATION.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ffafe68
     Exception code: 0xc000041d
     Fault offset: 0x00008f80
     Faulting process id: 0xcb8
     Faulting application start time: 0x01cd5ef89000dd64
     Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\APPLICATION_x86__vakvegc16rvmp \APPLICATION.exe
     Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\APPLICATION_x86__vakvegc16rvmp\APPLICATION.exe
     Report Id: d043c689-caeb-11e1-9b69-000c29884e88

    It seems, when "Visual Studio Express 2012" is installed it works fine.

    How can check if I have all the dependencies? Do you have any idea? Are there better ways to figure out what's going wrong?

    Thanks a lot!


    • Edited by MrCamelCase Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:30 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:59 AM

Answers

  • There were no errors reported when you deployed the appx package?


    There are a couple general things you can look at for starters for these types of issues.

    1. Capture a Sysinternals Procmon log to see how far and what your app was accessing when it crashed. Look for any errors accessing resources. You can compare this with a working system procmon log of the same app loading successfully.

    2. Capture a crash dump of the process for post mortem analysis. The steps are documented on MSDN here. This is an example of the registry settings:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows
    Error Reporting\LocalDumps]

    "DumpFolder"=<FolderPath goes here>

    "DumpCount"=dword:00000010

    "DumpType"=dword:00000002



    David Lamb




    Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:29 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks all.

    I don't know what was going wrong. But I cleaned up my solution did a rebuild and it worked!

    • Marked as answer by MrCamelCase Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:45 PM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:45 PM

All replies

  • There were no errors reported when you deployed the appx package?


    There are a couple general things you can look at for starters for these types of issues.

    1. Capture a Sysinternals Procmon log to see how far and what your app was accessing when it crashed. Look for any errors accessing resources. You can compare this with a working system procmon log of the same app loading successfully.

    2. Capture a crash dump of the process for post mortem analysis. The steps are documented on MSDN here. This is an example of the registry settings:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows
    Error Reporting\LocalDumps]

    "DumpFolder"=<FolderPath goes here>

    "DumpCount"=dword:00000010

    "DumpType"=dword:00000002



    David Lamb




    Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:29 AM
    Moderator
  • I think we've seen this issue before when the application some how took a dependency on a component that required the developer license to be on the machine.   I think it had to do with developer API stubs for the store or licensing which were intended to help developers verify their apps.  These stubs need to be removed since they require the developer license which most machines and users wont' have.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Thanks all.

    I don't know what was going wrong. But I cleaned up my solution did a rebuild and it worked!

    • Marked as answer by MrCamelCase Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:45 PM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:45 PM