Windows 7 hangs after logo to blank screen and initial login chime. RRS feed

• General discussion

• After installing the Release Canidate RC1 and not changing any defaults I shut the computer down. Upon re-start I see the windows initial graphic, the screen goes dark and the initial windows chime occurs but then nothing.

To resolve the problem what I did was the advice as given in this thread: black screen in the logon screen, wont log in. That post basically states to hit F8 before the logon screen, logon in Windows Safe mode at the suggested lowest resolution, and upon login change to the desired resolution.

I am only doing this post because this is RC1 of Windows 7 and am suprised that I ran into this on this version. The default resolution was fine with me and I didn't check to change. If this is a change required by the user, fix this before going out to the general public.

Note my system is Aero compatible video (ATI), quad core with eight gigs of ram, fresh install of 64bit version. My target screen/resolution was 1900x1200.

HTH
    William Wegerson (www.OmegaCoder.Com)
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 11:57 AM

All replies

• The video driver you use is not working correctly in Win 7 RC. It will probably be upgraded by the time the final version is published.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:18 PM