none
Using Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop but no built-in Model Editor

Question

• So I'm creating a 3D game with the XNA Framework extension for Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop and following tutorials, only to be puzzled when they're able to double click their .fbx files and have something called a 'Model Editor' pop up. This'd be extremely useful because it means I can make edits to models on the fly rather than having to keep importing it from Blender. From what I can tell this .fbx Model Editor is supposed to be built into Visual Studio but when I double-click my .fbx file it says that the '.fbx extension is missing'. Some help would be super appreciated.
    Friday, May 27, 2016 12:03 AM

Answers

• Hi DarthDementous,

In my testing results, the VS2013 express would not support this item, if you want to use a free VS version, my suggestion is that you could think about using the VS2013 or VS2015 community version, I installed the VS2013 community with update 5, it supports this item.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:16 AM

All replies

• Hi DarthDementous,

Since this issue is related to the XNA 3d game, if possible, you could post this issue here:

http://xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forums/, there you would get dedicated support.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, May 27, 2016 9:45 AM
  • I believe it's not related to XNA because the official Microsoft support site for Visual Studio lists the Model Editor as one of its features.

However, just in case I will make a topic over there thanks.

Sunday, May 29, 2016 11:29 PM
  • Hi DarthDementous,

Thank you for your support and co-operation.

Not the real Game developer, so maybe the XNA team experts could repro this issue easily, so we could know that whether it is related to the VS IDE or project itself.

Actually I test it in my VS2013 Ultimate or VS2015 community version, I could get the result like my following screen shot even if I just add a new item to the default winforms app.

Do you mean that you couldn't get the result "A" when you double click the .fbx file?

If so, please right click the file->open with, and make sure that you select the correct editor.

Since you use the VS2013 express for desktop version, I will setup a clean machine, we have to make sure that whether the express version really supports it. I will update the reply if I get any latest information.

Of course, if I misunderstood this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, May 30, 2016 9:05 AM
  • Hi DarthDementous,

I install the default VS2013 express for desktop version, but it seems that it has no the item.

Like the VS2015 community version, I could get the item:

So you mean that you could see the "Graphics" item in your VS2013 express, am I right?

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, May 30, 2016 9:33 AM
  • Thank you very much for testing that,

You're correct in saying that I'm not able to see 'A' when I double-click the .fbx file, nor do I have an option for Graphics after selecting 'Add New Item'.

Considering that you installed Visual Studio Express 2013 on a clean machine and it didn't have the option for Graphics then it appears I need to use a different version. Could you please confirm that you're not able to get up the Model Editor on Visual Studio Express 2013?

If this does appear to be the case what version of Visual Studio would you recommend that's free and has those capabilities? I think there's a re-packaged version of the XNA framework that works with versions past 2013.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 2:22 AM
  • Hi DarthDementous,

In my testing results, the VS2013 express would not support this item, if you want to use a free VS version, my suggestion is that you could think about using the VS2013 or VS2015 community version, I installed the VS2013 community with update 5, it supports this item.

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:16 AM