is this the way windows 8 should be - i guess u may agree- best of both worlds metro and traditional desktop

General discussion

•  

Since the day the developer preview has been released there have been continous discussion all over the web . 

One thing everyone seem to agree is that they should have a choice between the classical windows 7 like start menu and desktop vs  the metro ui as most people agree that  metro UI is mainly for the touch related devices - be it the slate / smartphone / laptop with touch or your desktop lcd with touch enabled .

For those like me who do not have any touch interface it seems bothering to use desktop and very difficult sometimes without having superfast access to contro panel / command line and so many other quickies that start menu provides .

the solution till now: - 

to resolve this situation many registery hacks and tweaking software have propped in the last 2 days which disable some features of the metro ui to get the old start menu .

thats not really not done . if u want to stick to the old one be with windows 7 , what is the need for metro.

anyways here is how u can have the best of both worldsclassic windows start menu and the metro ui without any hacks or registery tweaks or changing system files

Here is a nifty freeware i stumbled across :

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

download and install it and have fun with both world of windows th emetro and the classical

hope you like it 

have fun 

do post your replies and ur experience . 

After installing it u get options as in the picture above

So like the options i have set

if i normally click on the start menu it gives me classical start menu and i can use the desktop as i want like in windows 7

if i want the metro ui i press shit and win key

thats all

Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:31 PM

All replies

• Seeing XP's classic menu in Win8 is funny. I personally prefer to remove it renaming that file and Metro is gone. http://goo.gl/5AexY
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:03 PM