DssProxy.exe for 32 and 64 bits RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, just noticed that in Robotics Developer Studio 2008 July CTP's "bin" directory, live together dssproxy.exe and dssproxy32.exe files. I understand dssproxy.exe is for 32 bit architectures (it's the default choice), therefore....dssproxy32.exe? Also for 32 bits or targets 64 bit platforms? 

Would like to clarify these as soon as possible. Nevertheless, I think it's quite an erroneous way to use this confusing naming convention.

Thanks very much in advance.

Miguel
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:45 AM

Answers

• Hi!
    I think you ,mean the DSSHost and DSSHost32. The DSSHost32 is contained for the simulation since the xna graphics, which the simulator depends on, is not working in a 64bit version. To force the DSS to be executed as 32 bit application the second DSSHost is added.

Here a statement from Kyle:

"XNA supports 64-bit windows by running in 32bit processes in the WOW64.  The problem is that we actually want DSSHost to run in native 64-bit mode when it is running under 64-bit windows (and not running the simulator) so that MSRS applications can run in full 64-bit mode. However, when you attempt to run the simulation engine in a 64-bit DSSHost environment, it tries to load XNA which fails.  This problem is not unique to XNA but common to any service that has a dependency on a 32bit only assembly built as x86."

from
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3265551&SiteID=1

hope this Helps

Mike
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:26 AM

All replies

• Hi!
    I think you ,mean the DSSHost and DSSHost32. The DSSHost32 is contained for the simulation since the xna graphics, which the simulator depends on, is not working in a 64bit version. To force the DSS to be executed as 32 bit application the second DSSHost is added.

Here a statement from Kyle:

"XNA supports 64-bit windows by running in 32bit processes in the WOW64.  The problem is that we actually want DSSHost to run in native 64-bit mode when it is running under 64-bit windows (and not running the simulator) so that MSRS applications can run in full 64-bit mode. However, when you attempt to run the simulation engine in a 64-bit DSSHost environment, it tries to load XNA which fails.  This problem is not unique to XNA but common to any service that has a dependency on a 32bit only assembly built as x86."

from
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3265551&SiteID=1

hope this Helps

Mike
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:26 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Yes, I meant DSSHost and DSSHost32. Thanks very much for your clear explanation.

Miguel

Monday, September 8, 2008 6:36 AM