none
Send an Email to a Distribution Group

Question

• SharePoint Online
    Exchange Online

Is it possible to send an email from a SharePoint Designer Workflow to a Distribution List or do I need to make that Distribution List a Security Group?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Kim

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Security groups linked with AD are available in SharePoint. you can send emails directly to these groups. There is no need to create a Security group but for Email distribution groups you will have to create SharePoint security group and manually add users of email distribution list to SharePoint security group.

• Edited by M Shoaib Tuesday, November 29, 2016 5:59 PM mistypes security groups with distribution groups
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 5:44 PM
  • I can not select them from SharePoint, when I add them to the To field in my SPD workflow it doesn't show that it is available.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 5:47 PM
  • sorry for the wrong reply first. I have edited the answer.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Hi Kim,

If you send email to Distribution List using SharePoint 2013 platform workflow, the SharePoint 2013 workflow contains new security enhancement, which validates the users within the Distribution Group using REST services validation.

Here are two workarounds for your reference:

Solution 1: Add the group as a contact in Exchange.

Solution 2: Workflow Interop Bridge for SharePoint 2013

More detailed steps about workaround for your reference:

http://summit7systems.com/workflow-interop-for-sharepoint-2013-to-the-rescue/

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:45 AM
  • How would I add the Distribution List that contains multiple people as a contact? I don't see the option to add members to a contact.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 12:47 PM
  • Hi,

How to create a contact group in outlook 2013/2016 for your reference:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-a-contact-group-316331b5-36a2-40f3-bc67-e0f1a3b6f903

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Kwilliams1130 Thursday, December 08, 2016 12:22 PM
    Thursday, December 08, 2016 11:15 AM