Problem Loading Designer in Metro UI

Question

• Hi ,

This starts to become very annoying . I have installed in Virtual Box VS2012 (windows 8 RC). I started to build a Metro UI APP using C# but I got stuck in a huge problem.

I remember I faced that problem using Silverlight but after building the solution it was fixed.

My problem here is that I CANNOT in ANYWAY load the Designer.  Even If I try to add a blank page with nothing in it I get the same exact error ,

System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException
    [856] Designer process terminated unexpectedly!(The error code between the brackets differs from time to time.)

or I get the XAML Designer is not working , do you want me to send the bug to Microsoft etc..?

Also I don't know if it is much of a help the Main Page is at the root of my APP and the rest were added in a directory.

Any help would be mostly appreciated.

thank you

Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:44 AM

Answers

• Hi  and thank you for your answer,

Not outside. Everything is installed inside. But I found a solution . If I create a directory in my solution let's say a folder named  VIEWS and add the page there , the designer is not loading. Whatever I do. Build,rebuild ,run ,deploy...

If I add the page in the root(where the MainPage.xaml lies) of My solution then I'm OK. 

So , I don't think that it has to do with the Virtual Box. Something's running behind the scenes , references or something ... and causes the problem.

Perhaps Microsoft must take a look at it because when they release the final product on October , I don't think that the developers would like this situation. 

Of course this is not the best solution because I want my pages to be organized in folders but I can live  with that for NOW. Not forever. Just now. 

thank you

• Marked as answer by zakkar Friday, August 3, 2012 4:37 AM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 4:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does it happen outside on Virtual Box? Seems like someone reported the issue at http://connectppe.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/738734/system-runtime-remoting-remotingexception

-Sagar

Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:22 AM
  • Hi  and thank you for your answer,

Not outside. Everything is installed inside. But I found a solution . If I create a directory in my solution let's say a folder named  VIEWS and add the page there , the designer is not loading. Whatever I do. Build,rebuild ,run ,deploy...

If I add the page in the root(where the MainPage.xaml lies) of My solution then I'm OK. 

So , I don't think that it has to do with the Virtual Box. Something's running behind the scenes , references or something ... and causes the problem.

Perhaps Microsoft must take a look at it because when they release the final product on October , I don't think that the developers would like this situation. 

Of course this is not the best solution because I want my pages to be organized in folders but I can live  with that for NOW. Not forever. Just now. 

thank you

• Marked as answer by zakkar Friday, August 3, 2012 4:37 AM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 4:37 AM
  • Uninstalling VirtualBox Guest Additions fixed the problem for me!

Friday, August 3, 2012 11:16 AM