Stream Analytics to existing dataset in PowerBI? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have succesfully connected Stream Analytics to PowerBI. Events are displayed nicely as they flow through SA. However, I would like to include some meta data in the report. I tried to output the Stream Analytics to an existing dataset which contains meta data, but my SA job gets degraded. In the operation log I got an error 500. Is this possible? 

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:16 AM

Answers

• I do not think this is possible.  Per the documentation there is a warning stating "be aware that if Power BI already had a dataset and table with the same name as the one you provided in this Stream Analytics job, the existing data will be overwritten."

Depending on how your meta data is stored/updated you could load it as reference data in the ASA query.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 4:37 PM
  • To elaborate on this - the Stream Analytics/Power BI integration has a limitation where there could only be a single table under a dataset - because of that we provide a warning as part of the add Power BI output wizard.

If you attempt to write to a second table under the same dataset in Power BI the Stream Analytics job will go into a degraded state.

If you have an existing dataset with an existing table and you are authoring a new Stream Analytics pipeline you should pick a different dataset as output.

Thanks!

Ziv.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 12:51 AM
  • One more word of warning - the schema of the Power BI table is created and altered by Stream Analytics at output time.

This means that you should never do the following:

1. Two Stream Analytics Jobs writing different data to the same Power BI table.
    2. A Stream Analytics Job that can write different schemas to Power BI table (e.g. "SELECT * INTO Output FROM Input" on top of heterogeneous data).

Thanks!

Ziv.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 12:56 AM

All replies

• Could you please share more information about the error you get in the operation log? We could look into the issue further based on the details.Thanks

Zafar Abbas

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 8:56 AM
  • Peter,

Please provide us more data about your job so we can look further, otherwise, this thread will be closed.

Thanks

Zafar Abbas

Sunday, July 5, 2015 12:06 PM
  • I do not think this is possible.  Per the documentation there is a warning stating "be aware that if Power BI already had a dataset and table with the same name as the one you provided in this Stream Analytics job, the existing data will be overwritten."

Depending on how your meta data is stored/updated you could load it as reference data in the ASA query.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 4:37 PM
  • To elaborate on this - the Stream Analytics/Power BI integration has a limitation where there could only be a single table under a dataset - because of that we provide a warning as part of the add Power BI output wizard.

If you attempt to write to a second table under the same dataset in Power BI the Stream Analytics job will go into a degraded state.

If you have an existing dataset with an existing table and you are authoring a new Stream Analytics pipeline you should pick a different dataset as output.

Thanks!

Ziv.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 12:51 AM
  • One more word of warning - the schema of the Power BI table is created and altered by Stream Analytics at output time.

This means that you should never do the following:

1. Two Stream Analytics Jobs writing different data to the same Power BI table.
    2. A Stream Analytics Job that can write different schemas to Power BI table (e.g. "SELECT * INTO Output FROM Input" on top of heterogeneous data).

Thanks!

Ziv.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 12:56 AM