none
Which font is this?

Question

• Hello,

Is this Tahoma? If so, how do I turn of anti-analyzing using VB code in my application? As my Tahoma looks smooth and (kind of) blurry.

• Edited by Lucy Qu Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:22 PM Edited photo - incase it was misunderstood as spam advertisement.
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have no idea what font you are talking about so,  i don't have a clue if it is Tahoma.  The text smoothing mode is an OS setting,  not a per application setting as far as i know.

How To Disable Font Smoothing In Windows 7/8/10

Also,  if you have your pc's display settings set to use a Font scaling greater than 100%,  then setting your application to be DpiAware in the app.manifest file helps to smooth the font so it does not look blurry.

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

• Edited by IronRazerz Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:16 PM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:15 PM
  • @IronRazerz - Thanks for your reply,

This is what I thought too, however there are many applications that I have installed on my system that do not conform to the font smoothing setting. I wonder if they use pictureboxes to represent text instead of standard labels? Unlikely.

Thanks

PS: I have font smoothing on my system turned on.
    • Edited by Lucy Qu Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:22 PM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:19 PM
  • @IronRazerz - Thanks for your reply,

This is what I thought too, however there are many applications that I have installed on my system that do not conform to the font smoothing setting. I wonder if they use pictureboxes to represent text instead of standard labels? Unlikely.

Thanks

PS: I have font smoothing on my system turned on.

I guess that could be due to the font and it's size they use,  not to mention,  they might be drawing the text themselves which offers the ability to set different SmoothingMode's and/or TextRenderingHint's.  It could also be that their applications are DpiAware.  I would say that WPF applications might be better at rendering text too but,  i am not 100% sure of that.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:39 PM
  • I think that it is "MS Sans Serif", size 8.

• Proposed as answer by IronRazerz Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lucy Qu Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:40 PM
  • It's not Tahoma. Is that what the Tahoma font looks like in another app like Word or WordPad? Note the letter 'Q' is different in your example.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:47 PM
  • Since we're guessing -- my guess is "Calibri".

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:49 PM
  • I think that it is "MS Sans Serif", size 8.

I believe you are correct.  It looks identical to me.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:50 PM
  • @Iron @Viorel

Yeah, I think you're right.

Am I the only one who thinks that without ClearType looks much better than with.

This is Microsoft Sans Serif, Regular, 8 with ClearType:

Looks terrible...

Maybe I should move this conversation to a typography forum instead, it's a bit off topic, sorry. :P

• Edited by Lucy Qu Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:20 PM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:14 PM
  • @Iron @Viorel

Yeah, I think you're right.

Am I the only one who thinks that without ClearType looks much better than with.

This is Microsoft Sans Serif, Regular, 8 with ClearType:

Looks terrible...

Maybe I should move this conversation to a typography forum instead, it's a bit off topic, sorry. :P

I agree Razerz looks funny.

I cant reproduce the problem? Can you? This looks like Clear Type? Windows 7 at normal 96 dpi.

Public Class Form6 Private Sub Form6_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load Label1.Text = "(C) Copyright 1999-2017 QQQQ7777" TextBox1.Text = Label1.Text

End Sub Private Sub PictureBox1_Paint(sender As Object, e As PaintEventArgs) Handles PictureBox1.Paint e.Graphics.Clear(Color.White) e.Graphics.DrawString(Label1.Text, Label1.Font, Brushes.Black, 20, 20) e.Graphics.TextRenderingHint = Drawing.Text.TextRenderingHint.ClearTypeGridFit e.Graphics.DrawString(Label1.Text, Label1.Font, Brushes.Black, 20, 60) End Sub End Class

PS What is your monitor text size setting? Your image looks larger. My example is 8 pt.
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:16 PM