Failed to sign appx file while creating local app package

Question

• I am new to building things in MS.Net world and VisualStudio (I am using evaluation version ultimate 2013).

The app I ve created works just fine and I can see it in emulator but I cannot access camera or other stuff so I decided to put it on my surface rt. As I read there is no beta channel for app store and I have to create app package and run it on my device. 

I was following the http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh975357.aspx (and also many resources on web but they seem outdated or unrelated).

I have chosen ARM device release configuration and then hit create button - I get this

Error 102 Failed to sign 'E:\win8.1\MyApp\bin\ARM\Debug\MyApp_1.0.0.9_Bundle\MyApp_1.0.0.9_ARM_Debug.appx'. SignTool Error: An unexpected internal error has occurred.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\AppxPackage\Microsoft.AppXPackage.Targets 1970 9 MyApp

I tried creating certificate in VS (in app manifest - packaging view) but this didnt help at all. where I can find more description about the error because 'An unexpected internal error has occurred' is not very meaningful. 

What am I missing here?

the app itself is simple winJS application, any help appreciated!

thanks!!

Sunday, April 27, 2014 2:23 PM

Answers

• Reinstalling may help.

You don't need to generate a certificate on the manifest-packaging view. That's not needed for creating a test package and may be unnecessary.

If you can build and run an AnyCPU package on the local machine (including via the simulator) then you can use the same package on your ARM machine. Visual Studio will copy it across and install it for you if you follow the instructions I linked previously.

--Rob

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:55 AM

All replies

• There's not enough information to say why it is failing. It's likely not something you're doing but may be an install problem. You can try repairing.

For a simple WinJS app you should be able to target AnyCPU rather than specifically ARM. You can use the same package you're testing on your x64 system as Running Windows Store apps on a remote machine describes. You can also access camera, etc. running locally if you have them. There is no emulator for Windows Store apps (tree is for Windows Phone). The simulator runs the app on the local system but connects through a custom remote desktop connection which simulates tough input, custom display sizes, etc.

You don't need or want to generate a custom certificate for most testing scenarios.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 2:39 PM
  • well, it is all it says :-) 

should I reinstall VS? I am evaluating the platform and running win 8.1 on virtualbox and I got also trial VS, but still I can try to reinstall VS. can I get sdk and generate package from command line?

I can try selecting neutral-releasing package option but I think I ve already tried that too.

I ve confused normal app that VS starts with emulator - my bad, but still it is not the same as running on multitouch device with certain dimensions, I would like to check the look and feel of the app on the surface. that is why I would like to create the package, put it on usb stick and load it on surface rt.

But the certificate that VS creates (from manifest-packaging view) should be valid to sign the package.

thanks for replay.

Monday, April 28, 2014 7:21 PM
  • Reinstalling may help.

You don't need to generate a certificate on the manifest-packaging view. That's not needed for creating a test package and may be unnecessary.

If you can build and run an AnyCPU package on the local machine (including via the simulator) then you can use the same package on your ARM machine. Visual Studio will copy it across and install it for you if you follow the instructions I linked previously.

--Rob

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:55 AM