none
Generating cookies from a Windows Service C#? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a website written in asp.net. It has a standard login page and works with a rather big SQL DB.

Due to several incidents of misuse and abuse, I want to monitor the MAC address of every user that logs in to the website so that I will be able to know who connects from what computer/device.

I am planning to do this using a Windows Service that will be installed on the client's computer. I am planning that this service t will retrieve the MAC address every time period (possible every hour) and then save the data somewhere on the computer.

When the user logs in, the website will take the file with the MAC address and then compare it to the DB entry, if it matches he will be let in to the system, if not he will be blocked until someone checks the situation.

I am able to retrieve the MAC address without a problem, but I am running into an issue regarding saving the data somewhere on the local file system. I am aware that the website is not allowed to access the client's computer due to security issues, which is why I want to save the MAC Address in a cookie, so that the website can read it freely with no problems. What is the best way to achieve this?

I have successfully written a windows application that creates the cookie using wininet.dll, but the dll does not work with a Windows Service.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 12:52 PM

Answers

All replies