Networking delay on restarting VM? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently had to restart a VM because it became unresponsive to RDP (I had to restart it via the management console).

Upon restart, however, I noticed that all my database-dependent Windows Services (which are configured to use SQL Azure) had failed to start.  This was the exception in the event log:

Service cannot be started. System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No such host is known.)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFail...

The SQL Azure server is definitely there.  As noted, that machine went AWOL from an RDP standpoint, so maybe the issue is related to that.

John Carroll

Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:58 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

In this forum I can help you with the connectivity, especially RDP. The SQL Azure service start issue could be posted to the SQL Azure forum.

Did the restart restore all connectivity (RDP and SQL) or just RDP?

Has RDP become unresponsive before? If so, and if it happens regularly, we can investigate it further by sending me an email to iaasforum@microsoft.com along with the following information:

1. The title of this post in the subject line
    2. Your first and last name
    3. A link to this forum post
    4. Your subscription ID
    5. A list of dates and times when this has happened before.

Regards,

-Steve Espinosa

Friday, August 31, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Hi, Steve

Well, I posted this here because it looked like ALL networking didn't work (well, at least the ones that used DNS in any way) for a period of time after the VM was restarted (long enough to cause issues for the Windows Services that I had configured to start automatically).  So, it wasn't just SQL Azure...though that was the symptom that caught my eye.  The cause was lack of network connectivity.

I'll send the requested details in an email.

John Carroll

Friday, August 31, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Oh, and the restart did restore RDP connectivity (SQL connectivity never seemed to go away until AFTER I restarted), though I did notice it took a good 3-4 minutes between the management console indicating it was restarted and my ability to RDP into that machine being restored.  Perhaps that is realted?

John Carroll

Friday, August 31, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Hi John,

Per our last conversation, I believe this issue is resolved now.

-Steve

Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:53 PM