none
Scheduler in SharePoint on-premise that can work in SharePoint Online too RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a scenario in which I have to develop a Timer Job/Task Scheduler/Windows Scheduler(any one of them,just need some tasks at specific intervals) on SharePoint on-premise. But here the question is, I need to plan something which will work on SharePoint online too, considering on-premise to online future migration in mind.

Please help me to choose what to develop for the job functionality. As per my knowledge, Task Scheduler/Windows Scheduler/Timer Jobs nothing will work on SharePoint Online. So, what is the alternative here. I have to work on two timer jobs, out of which one doesn't read/write to SharePoint and the other does. So, what is preferable here.

Please help me urgently. Thanks..!!

Saturday, January 14, 2017 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hi

a powershell scheduled script which will do the job to online as well

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Saturday, January 14, 2017 3:03 PM
  • Hi Tanvi,

Yes, You cannot develop Timer job in SharePoint online. In my knowledge,  below option is preferable.

1) Develop console application using CSOM (for Sharepoint CRUD operation)
    2) Instead of using credentials to perform CRUD operation to sharepoint, use App only/ Add - in policy (configure it in App.config file)
        Refer  : https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/kaevans/2013/02/23/sharepoint-2013-app-only-policy-made-easy/
    3) Schedule console application in Task schedular in On premises environment as of now

One of the Timerjob alternative in Sharepoint online is to use Azure web jobs.
    Refer : https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/richard_dizeregas_blog/2014/04/07/sharepoint-timer-jobs-running-as-windows-azure-web-jobs

So, When you want to move/run your Scheduled task for Sharepoint online, Create it as Azure web job. In this way, You will be able to run same code/logic with minimal changes.

Thanks,
    Guru

Saturday, January 14, 2017 4:54 PM
  • Hi Tanvi,

As I understand, there is 3 options to create a schedule which is similiar with timer job in SharePoint Online:

1. Create a PowerShell script or C# console application with SharePoint Online CSOM, then run the application/ script with windows task schedule.

Using CSOM in PowerShell scripts with Office 365

2. Create a Azure timer job like Bhat's suggestion.

How to create a Timer Job in SharePoint Online

3. Schedule the timer job solution using SharePoint app model.

Simulate Timer Job Solution for SharePoint 2013/Online using App Model & CSOM

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 16, 2017 6:45 AM