Integration Runtime sharing issue: can't add DF to the list RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have two Data Factories: DF1 and edDF2.

DF1 has a running Integration Runtime that I'd like to use in edDF2.

I follow the advised steps and when I reach "Sharing" and click on Grant permission to another Data Factory, I have a list of our Data Factories where I can find and select my edDF2. I click Add, there is one-two seconds wheel spinning and then nothing: no data factories are added to the list on "Sharing" page.

Is it a bug or I'm missing something here?

Cheers,

Tatiana.

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 2:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Tatiana,

I have noticed the same behavior after clicking on Add button.

Note: After clicking on refresh button, you can see the another data factory which is added.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:07 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately after I click "Refresh" button, the list is still empty. Are there any permissions or browser settings I have to be aware of? I do not think I'm an Azure Admin (i.e. i can't modify Azure Active Directory); however, I'm the creator of both data factories and I've installed and configured the Integration Runtime for DF1. Is there anything else to consider, check?

Thank you

Tatiana.

Monday, March 4, 2019 11:01 PM
  • Hi Tatiana,

Currently, Data Factory UI is supported only in Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome web browsers.

I’m using Microsoft Edge and able to grant permission to the data factory in which you would like to reference this Integrated Runtime.

For more details, refer “Sharing the self-hosted IR with multiple data factories”.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 7:25 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for getting back on the browser details. I'm using Google Chrome (I noticed ADF doesn't work in IE and I do no have MS Edge).

It has appeared to be an Azure permission issue. I finally got an error message displayed after I've clicked Add button. (Seems like a lucky accident, it was not displayed before, very strange) :

Error occurred when grant permission to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Error: {"error":{"code":"AuthorizationFailed","message":"The client 'MyAzureAccount@******.com' with object id 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx' does not have authorization to perform action 'Microsoft.Authorization/roleAssignments/write' over scope '/subscriptions/****subscription_ID****/resourcegroups/**Resource_Group_name***/providers/Microsoft.DataFactory/factories/DF1/integrationRuntimes/MyIntegrationRuntimeName/providers/Microsoft.Authorization/roleAssignments/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'."}}

The documentation stated:

"To grant permission, the user needs the Owner role or the inherited Owner role in the data factory where the shared IR exists."

I'm a "Contributor" in the subscription I've been using to create my Data Factory and not an Owner. As a results the above condition is not satisfied. 

I can't be nominated an owner of this subscription for the security reasons. Is there a way to fine tune the "Contributor" role to allow it grant permissions for Integration Runtimes?

Alternatively, is it possible to grant me an Owner Role for the DF1 where my IR exists?

Thank you,

Tatiana

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 2:07 AM
  • Hi Tatiana,

As this is the known limitation, only user with Owner role or the inherited owner role in data factory can grant permission to the shared IR exists.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 10:54 AM
  • Hi Tatiana,

Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:30 AM
  • Hi Tatiana,

You can grant the permissions by using enter manually option in ADF V2. You have to provide the respective Data Factory's Service Identity ID and you can see the your another data factory.

Thanks,

MG

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:24 PM
  • Hi MG_ADF,

Thanks for adding your insights for the issue, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. 

Monday, March 18, 2019 5:42 AM