OXCMSG - Read Flags RRS feed

• Question

• These queries relate to MS-OXCMSG v0.2, Section 2.2.3.10.1.2 "ReadFlags"

1. Is the 0x0A entry intended to mean that the 0x08 and 0x02 bits are reserved?

2. Is the 0x80 bit also reserved?

3. The description says "bitwise OR of zero or more values from the following table". What are the semantics of zero values (i.e. a flag value of 0x0)?

4. Are there a defined list of which combinations of bits are sensible, and what the semantics will be?
    As an example (only) for flag value of 0x11, we have "The server sends a read report if one is pending, but does not change the mfRead bit." and "The user requests that any pending read report be canceled; Server sets mfRead bit.". Will the mfRead bit be set or not, and will the read receipt be sent or not?

Brad
    Friday, May 30, 2008 11:04 AM

Answers

• Brad,

The feedback on Read flags is:

0x0A is reserved (meaning 0x08 and 0x02).
    0x80 is not used.
    0x00 is "set the read flag and send the receipt."

From a 'list' the Read Flags are as mutually exclusive:

rfGenerateReceiptOnly
    rfSupressReceipt
    rfClearReadFlag (rfClearNotifyRead OR rfClearNotifyUnread)

The Documentation is being updated.  Again thank you for the feedback.

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:38 PM

All replies

• The word 'reserved' to me implies future changes.  The value 0x80 should fall under this same category.  I have filed a bug against this section for the first two questions.

Question 3 the zero value would be 0x00.

Question 4 there isn't a defined list.  From your wording are you looking for more clarification about expected behavior from the server in regards to the use of multiple OR’d flags?

Friday, May 30, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Tom,

The main intent of the first question was whether 0x0A implies 0x08 and 0x02 (or is it just a typo for 0x02)?

For Q3, the query relates to what happens to the PidTagMessageFlags property (and what Read / Unread receipts are generated) if the ReadFlags byte is 0x0.

For Q4, I think you've captured it. It just seems that this is a bitmask that has contradictory meaning for bits that can be set at the same time (e.g. my original example of 0x11) I'm trying to understand which bits "win".

Thanks

Brad
    Saturday, May 31, 2008 12:45 AM
  • A bit more investigation (using SetMessageReadFlags, ROP=0x11; I'm still trying to get 0x66 to work) indicates that 0x00 causes the Read flag to be set.

Brad
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 9:58 AM
  • Brad,

The documentation is being updated to clarify the reserved bits, the semantics zero value, and adding the combination of bits that are sensible.

Thank you for the feedback.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Brad,

The feedback on Read flags is:

0x0A is reserved (meaning 0x08 and 0x02).
    0x80 is not used.
    0x00 is "set the read flag and send the receipt."

From a 'list' the Read Flags are as mutually exclusive:

rfGenerateReceiptOnly
    rfSupressReceipt
    rfClearReadFlag (rfClearNotifyRead OR rfClearNotifyUnread)

The Documentation is being updated.  Again thank you for the feedback.

Friday, June 13, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Brad,

The version 1.0 of the Exchange Server Protocol documents was released today.  The top-level URL for the documents can be found here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc307725(EXCHG.80).aspx.  

You can also download the zip file that contains the PDF version of the Exchange Server Protocol documents http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=115

As per this discussion I've added a snippet of the table covering the ReadFlags from the version 1.0 of [MS_OXCMSG].  

<snippet source="[MS_OXCMSG]">

2.2.3.10.1.2 ReadFlags

1-byte containing a bitwise OR of zero or more values from the following table. The server modifies bits on the PidTagMessageFlags property. The flags, frGenerateReceiptOnly, rfsuppressReceipt, and rfClearReadFlag, (rfClearNotifyRead OR rfClearNotifyUnread), are mutually exclusive.

Name

Value

Description

rfDefault

0x00

The server sets the read flag and sends the receipt.

rfSuppressReceipt

0x01

The user requests that any pending read report be canceled; Server sets mfRead bit.

rfReserved

0x0A

Ignored by the server.

rfClearReadFlag

0x04

Server clears the mfRead bit; Client MUST include rfSuppressReceipt with this flag.

rfGenerateReceiptOnly

0x10

The server sends a read report if one is pending, but does not change the mfRead bit.

rfClearNotifyRead

0x20

The server clears the mfNotifyRead bit, but does not send a read report.

rfClearNotifyUnread

0x40

The server clears the mfNotifyUnread bit, but does not send a non-read report.

</snippet>

If you have any questions or find any discrepancies in the new documentation please don’t hesitate to post questions or feedback to this forum.

Thank you for your great feedback.

Developer Consultant
    Friday, June 27, 2008 7:57 PM