none
ASP.NET ReportViewer 1 minute timeout RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a report that takes a few minutes to execute. It runs perfectly fine from the reporting portal. However, I can't seem to get it to run in the report viewer control without timing out. 

What I can tell is that the request is made from MicrosoftAjax.js and it is requesting the path to my report. It results in a 504 status code after exactly 1 minute.

Definitely seems like I need to change a timeout. Here's all the timeouts I've tried changing (all values were changed to much more than 1 minute):

AsyncPostBackTimeout both in the code behind as well as the ScriptManager html element.

ServerReport.Timeout.

Web.config httpRuntime executionTimeout.

Logged into report portal and changed it to "Allow the report to run indefinitely"

I looked through the designer, but don't see any timeout settings on the control itself. Is there some other timeout setting that this could be? 

Monday, October 21, 2019 4:16 AM

All replies

• I found the problem. According to our AWS expert, it was a problem with our load balancer (Amazon ELB) which defaults to 1 minute, hence the 1 minute timeout. Apparently the highest it can go is 10 minutes. That happens to be enough time in this situation. But I am curious what would happen if we had a legitimate need for a very long running report. Are there any kind of workarounds for something that runs longer than a load balancer would allow?
    Monday, October 21, 2019 6:43 PM