How to convert xlf file and resjson file for multilanguage support?

Question

• Hi,

I am using MultilingualAppToolkit to generate multi-language translation for my app. The output file of the MultilingualAppToolkit is a .xlf file.

In the multi-language section of the SDK :

Globalizing your app

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465006.aspx

said there are two way to support multi-language, one is using resjson and another is MultilingualAppToolkit.

But I found that the result I generated from MultilingualAppToolkit can't be used on other machine that didn't install MultilingualAppToolkit.

It's a little hard to tell everyone to install MultilingualAppToolkit to support multi-language for me,

Is there any way that can help to convert between xlf & resjson file so others can use my translation result directly?

Thank you~~

Eric

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Eric,

I am not aware of conversion tool for xlf --> resjson.  I know it is difficult but the Mulilingual app toolkit will install on machines without VS 2012 installed so other users can use the Multilingual Editor standalone tool to edit the xlf file.

thanks!

mike

Friday, September 07, 2012 10:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Eric,

I am not aware of conversion tool for xlf --> resjson.  I know it is difficult but the Mulilingual app toolkit will install on machines without VS 2012 installed so other users can use the Multilingual Editor standalone tool to edit the xlf file.

thanks!

mike

Friday, September 07, 2012 10:03 PM
  • Mike is correct in that there is not a converter from XLF <--> ResW.

For machines that need to compile an app built using the toolkit, this requirement is no different that any toolkit that extension Visual Studio's functionally.  The installation is small and only active if enabled on a project.

If only the Editor is desired, this will work on Windows 7 machine as well.  You can customize the install the only install the editor, even if on a machine with Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012.

Friday, September 21, 2012 10:16 PM