none
Rollback EF 4.1 install RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed EF 4.1, but am needing to roll back to 4.0.  What is the best way to accomplish this?  Even after completing the 'Remove' via the Control Panel, the version stamp on C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\RIA Services\v1.0\Libraries\Server\System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.EntityFramework.dll is 4.1.60114.0.

Am I even looking at the right DLL?  RIA doesn't necessarily have to be installed for EF, so there must be something I'm missing.

How do I roll back to EF 4.0?

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

EF 4.1 is build on top of EF 4.0 and is a separate assembly. I don't know what issues you are seeing with EF 4.1 but you don't have to rollback the changes to be able to use just EF 4.0. EF 4.1 lives in EntityFramework.dll and is not part of the .NET Framework currently while EF 4.0 lives in System.Data.Entity.dll and it is part of the .NET Framework. If you need to use EF 4.0 in your project just remove the references to EntityFramework.dll and leave the reference to System.Data.Entity.dll

I am not familiar with RIA services but the dll you pointed out to seems to enable using RIA services with EntityFramework and is not the one that contains EF 4.1/CodeFirst/DbContext functionality.

Pawel

• Marked as answer by ps0118mj Wednesday, July 6, 2011 4:54 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

EF 4.1 is build on top of EF 4.0 and is a separate assembly. I don't know what issues you are seeing with EF 4.1 but you don't have to rollback the changes to be able to use just EF 4.0. EF 4.1 lives in EntityFramework.dll and is not part of the .NET Framework currently while EF 4.0 lives in System.Data.Entity.dll and it is part of the .NET Framework. If you need to use EF 4.0 in your project just remove the references to EntityFramework.dll and leave the reference to System.Data.Entity.dll

I am not familiar with RIA services but the dll you pointed out to seems to enable using RIA services with EntityFramework and is not the one that contains EF 4.1/CodeFirst/DbContext functionality.

Pawel

• Marked as answer by ps0118mj Wednesday, July 6, 2011 4:54 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:32 PM
  • EF 4.1 completely changes the wizard for model generation.  Breaking changes, with respect to STE. It's true what you've stated. There are parts of the Extensions that change in VS2010 that break existing code when one attempts to update or regen a model against the DB, however.

So the question remains. How does one roll back the upgrade to 4.0 such that the wizard generates in the old style?

!=MaYHeM

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:56 PM