Sending Mail Using SSIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out how to send mails using SSIS 'Send Mail Task' and 'Script Task' with no success. My email client is Microsoft Outlook 2007. If I'm using the Send Mail Task, in Mail>New SMTP Connection, what would be my SMTP server. Do I need to use Windows Authentication. By the way, I'm using SSIS 2008 R2. If you cannot tell me my SMTP server, please let me know how I can find the same in my machine. I tried running some scripts found from google but every time the Script task is complaining that binary code is not found and to edit it. So please help me in sending mails either using Send Mail Task or using Script Component.

Thanks in advance!

Monday, May 9, 2011 1:01 PM

Answers

• An SMTP server is required - but you should be able to find that information by looking at your Outlook mail settings.  Go to Tools|Accounts, select your account and "change" it.  Look for the SMTP or "outgoing mail" server setting.  That's your SMTP server URL.
    Todd McDermid's Blog Talk to me now on
    • Proposed as answer by Todd McDermid Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chain Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:11 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 5:04 PM

All replies

• In either case of using a Script Task with System.Net or the Send Mail task, you will need the SMTP server to send the email message.  You will need to contact your system administrator or Exchange Admin for the name or IP address of your SMTP server.  Depending on how your SMTP server is set up, you might not need to submit a username  and password.  Again, your administrator will assist you with this.

Regards,

John

Monday, May 9, 2011 1:08 PM
  • 1)      Whether it is Send mail task or script task , SMTP server has to be installed on the machine.

2)      To install SMTP server IIS is required.

3)      SMTP needs to be installed on top of IIS.

4)      Please check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8b83ac7t.aspx

Happy to help! Thanks. Regards and good Wishes, Deepak.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 3:20 PM
  • An SMTP server is required - but you should be able to find that information by looking at your Outlook mail settings.  Go to Tools|Accounts, select your account and "change" it.  Look for the SMTP or "outgoing mail" server setting.  That's your SMTP server URL.
    Todd McDermid's Blog Talk to me now on
    • Proposed as answer by Todd McDermid Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chain Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:11 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Thanks a million Todd!!! That really helped :-)

Much appreciated....

Sharath

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:33 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Todd McDermid Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:48 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:03 AM