Unable to start Simulator in Visual Studio 2013

Question

• I am writing a Windows Store App for Windows 8.1 in Visual Studio 2013 Premium and came across the following error when attempting to debug my application in the simulator:

Unable to start the Simulator. Another user on this computer is running Simulator, can not start Simulator.

Up until that point I was able to debug the application in the simulator without problems. I tried to reboot my computer to make sure there wasn't an instance of the simulator open somewhere, but that didn't help. Also, I am the only user on the computer, so nobody else would have run Visual Studio.

I am still able to debug to my local machine, but that leaves me unable to test the behavior of my application when the screen is rotated. Any assistance in resolving this matter is greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Steven,

Sorry for a late response.

Here you need to validate if you are using the remote desktop stuff by some application installed in your computer.

Besides you could also repair/re-install the VS to see if the issue still exist. Run your VS in /SafeMode and reset VS settings.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi stevenball88,

Since this issue is related to the Window Sore app, I will move this thread to Tools for Windows Store apps forum for better response. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:04 AM
  • Hi Steven,

Sorry for a late response.

Here you need to validate if you are using the remote desktop stuff by some application installed in your computer.

Besides you could also repair/re-install the VS to see if the issue still exist. Run your VS in /SafeMode and reset VS settings.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:36 AM