none
PSI extension deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any considerations when deploying PSI exntesion or I just need to use the project web site?

thanks,

Ido

Id
    Monday, December 13, 2010 8:31 PM

Answers

• To install a PSI extension (assuming you're talking about Project Server 2010), you need to add the .svc file to the PSI and modify the web.config file -- otherwise, it is not a PSI extension, and would not be subject to the security checks for Project Server, nor could it call other PSI methods.

As to putting both projects into one package for installation, I suppose you could create a .msi in one setup project that would do most of the work for both the Wet Part and PSI ext VS projects, but I haven't tried that. You'd need to add the .svc file to the PSI and create a routine (maybe another VS project) to modify the web.config file. That would require a high level of perms. It would probably be better to let whoever installs the package do the last couple of steps for the PSI extension manually -- that way, they know what is going on.

--Jim

Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 11:10 PM

All replies

• The considerations are similar for Project Server 2007 and 2010, but the processes are quite different.

Project Server 2010: see the Best Practices for Project Server Extensions section in Creating a PSI Extension for Project Server 2010. For the process specifically: "Deploy the extension by creating a service activation file (HelloService.svc) in Project Web App and modifying the web.config file in the Web Server Extensions directory for Project Server."

Project Server 2007: see the bottom section in Walkthrough: Creating a PSI Extension For the process specifically: "To provide discovery and description for your custom Web service, you must create [and manually modify] a .disco file and a .wsdl file." ... and then install them in the Shared Services directory.

--Jim

Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Corbin Monday, December 13, 2010 10:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by I D Saturday, December 18, 2010 2:02 PM
    Monday, December 13, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Jim,
    I'll expand my question - I want to use this PSI extension as a basis for a web part. I want to create only one installation package for the web part and the PSI extension. Can it be done? Do I have to deploy the svc file to the location "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\ISAPI\PSI" or can I deploy it somewhere else (I prefer not to change the PSI web.config file)?

Thanks,

Id
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 2:03 PM
  • To install a PSI extension (assuming you're talking about Project Server 2010), you need to add the .svc file to the PSI and modify the web.config file -- otherwise, it is not a PSI extension, and would not be subject to the security checks for Project Server, nor could it call other PSI methods.

As to putting both projects into one package for installation, I suppose you could create a .msi in one setup project that would do most of the work for both the Wet Part and PSI ext VS projects, but I haven't tried that. You'd need to add the .svc file to the PSI and create a routine (maybe another VS project) to modify the web.config file. That would require a high level of perms. It would probably be better to let whoever installs the package do the last couple of steps for the PSI extension manually -- that way, they know what is going on.

--Jim

Jim Corbin [MSFT]
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 11:10 PM