Online Product Showcase Using Video and Images RRS feed

• Question

• In 2 days I start development on a project that will cycle through the products of a site and stream the product video, followed by product images followed by product write up.  The project should be navigable from product to product and as the site will be completely revamped in 2-3 months should get the file paths via webservice. 

I am a .NET developer and completely new to silverlight though I have read that silverlight is the route I want to take.  The page hosting the app only needs to be as big as the streaming content and must be fullscreenable.  Also, the project can only take about 1 month.  Is this doable in Silverlight?  If so, can you point me to the resources I need to study in order to hit the floor running?

Not looking for snarky remarks like "hire someone who knows what he's doing".  Also, though it is welcome, I am not necissarily looking for a step by step.  Just some links to the resources needed would be fine.

Thank you very much

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm also a .NET developer (ASP.NET mostly), but it's a bit difficult to tell if it's doable. That all depends on you. How fast you learn the material.

For someone working with Silverlight for a longer period of time it would be no problem.
    If I would have to roughly guess how much time it'll take for me to build what you described I would say less than 1 week (excluding design and converting the design to xaml, purely the building part).

You should really get started with the Get Started section of this site and with the learning videos in there: http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/

I would buy a good book to help you along. There are a lot of books in the books section of this site. I would, however buy a book that suits the requirements of your project.
    Something like Silverlight 2 in Action. I haven't read the book myself, but heard good things about it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933988428?ie=UTF8&tag=silverlightnet-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1933988428

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:58 PM