none
Migrate user profiles to Azure from Windows 7 and Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are preparing to move our consultants and sales staff to Azure. All will get new PC's.-
    That is one issue to deal with

But even when I login to our Azure (only preliminary setup by now) from an existing PC, none of my data, my mail account, application setting or other, are there but in the old local or Domain profile!

With the "real" users the problem is even greater as they are on standalone Win7 & 10 PC's (Workgroup) with oneDrive as backup, and they run a mix of Office 2013 and 2016, 32 and 64bit.

I am searching for a path that can result in our users having all their data, mail, mail-setup etc. moved over to their new Windows 10 AzureAD joined PC's.

I have searched for days now but cannot find anyone who has successfully done this?
    Saturday, August 24, 2019 11:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Frank

We just finished testing the latest release of USMTGUI 10.21.1903 with Azure, released from EhlerTech on August 19.

Apart from a minor bug found by my staff Wednesday 21 and corrected by EhlerTech Friday it just works and better than expected.

----------------------
    Current scenario:
    We have a bunch of PC's with local user profiles and need them Azure joined for data security and files has been copied over but people naturally want their settings browser passwords and so on, just as you state above.

With USMTGUI we simply selected the old profile, while being logged in with the new Azure user and unchecked "Full migration" in the GUI
    We then selected to migrate all registry apart from mail settings and mapped printers (as we already did create the mail accounts and map printers)
    And we migrated only Appdata, as we already copied over all documents.

So, when you open Chrome or Firefox afterwards, all settings are there :-)
    ------------------------

I have not yet tested migration from windows 7 or 10 on ANOTHER PC to the new AzureAD user.

According to Mr. Ehler it can also be done quite easily with USMTGUI, but with the shortcomings from the Windows 7 Operating system being three generations apart.

One thing to note, according to documentation, is that it temporarily takes some room on the system disk, as the profile will be restored to a Temporary profile and then migrated over to the Azure user from there..

/Gina

• Marked as answer by FBHartmann Saturday, September 7, 2019 6:57 PM
    Sunday, August 25, 2019 11:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Frank

We just finished testing the latest release of USMTGUI 10.21.1903 with Azure, released from EhlerTech on August 19.

Apart from a minor bug found by my staff Wednesday 21 and corrected by EhlerTech Friday it just works and better than expected.

----------------------
    Current scenario:
    We have a bunch of PC's with local user profiles and need them Azure joined for data security and files has been copied over but people naturally want their settings browser passwords and so on, just as you state above.

With USMTGUI we simply selected the old profile, while being logged in with the new Azure user and unchecked "Full migration" in the GUI
    We then selected to migrate all registry apart from mail settings and mapped printers (as we already did create the mail accounts and map printers)
    And we migrated only Appdata, as we already copied over all documents.

So, when you open Chrome or Firefox afterwards, all settings are there :-)
    ------------------------

I have not yet tested migration from windows 7 or 10 on ANOTHER PC to the new AzureAD user.

According to Mr. Ehler it can also be done quite easily with USMTGUI, but with the shortcomings from the Windows 7 Operating system being three generations apart.

One thing to note, according to documentation, is that it temporarily takes some room on the system disk, as the profile will be restored to a Temporary profile and then migrated over to the Azure user from there..

/Gina

• Marked as answer by FBHartmann Saturday, September 7, 2019 6:57 PM
    Sunday, August 25, 2019 11:14 AM

• I have not yet tested migration from windows 7 or 10 on ANOTHER PC to the new AzureAD user.

Hi Gina

Being familiar with USMTGUI do you know if it handles Office transitions the way USMT does?
    You know when migrating a user fromOffice 2013 to Office 2016, does USMTGUI handle this?

Rafael van der ville

Université catholique de Louvain

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 11:50 AM

• I have not yet tested migration from windows 7 or 10 on ANOTHER PC to the new AzureAD user.

/Gina

Hi Gina
    Thank you for your answer and your help!

I have tested migration from windows 7 or 10 on ANOTHER PC to Azure and it works really well.

All to note is that USMTGUI, when restoring the profile from the other PC, creates a user called USMTtmpUser (as a kind of middle-step prior to moving over to Azure), that you can just delete afterwards. !!Please do so from Advanced System Settings. Not through File Explorer!! 

Saturday, September 7, 2019 7:04 PM

• Being familiar with USMTGUI do you know if it handles Office transitions the way USMT does?
    You know when migrating a user fromOffice 2013 to Office 2016, does USMTGUI handle this?

Hi Rafael

I can confirm it does. Everything is done by USMT. Just controlled by USMTGUI.
    We have moved a bunch of Win 7 Office 2013 over to AzureAD users on Windows 10 Office 2016.

USMTGUI seems really simple but it is not, as you can utilize nearly all USMT features through the GUI.

Saturday, September 7, 2019 7:10 PM