none
NetPeerTcpBinding marked obsolete in Net 4.5 RRS feed

• Question

• NetPeerTcpBinding has been  marked obsolete in Net 4.5.  After looking at similar questions, I have not found a direct answer to the following questions:

Is there a direct replacement for NetPeerTcpBinding?

Why was NetPeerTcpBinding deemed obsolete?

Other answers have been incomplete.  For example, UdpBinding with  multicast support does not have the same functionality.

What is Microsoft's answer to these two questions?

Navy Firefighting Engineer

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:06 AM

Answers

• Hi

Unfortunately, there is no direct replacement suggested for NetPeerTcpBinding via Product Group.

NetPeerTcpBinding still exists and is supported in.NET  Framework 4.5.
    It is deprecated, meaning,  it could potentially be removed in future versions.

For new development efforts, it is strongly recommended to look at other ways to accomplish the same functionality. This would depend on what functionality/problem NetPeerTcpBinding is intended to solve in the application. While there isn’t a direct binding replacement to NetPeerTcpBinding, most of the features can be accomplished using other bindings or combination of bindings.

Monday, August 26, 2013 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, August 23, 2013 8:13 AM
  • Hi

Unfortunately, there is no direct replacement suggested for NetPeerTcpBinding via Product Group.

NetPeerTcpBinding still exists and is supported in.NET  Framework 4.5.
    It is deprecated, meaning,  it could potentially be removed in future versions.

For new development efforts, it is strongly recommended to look at other ways to accomplish the same functionality. This would depend on what functionality/problem NetPeerTcpBinding is intended to solve in the application. While there isn’t a direct binding replacement to NetPeerTcpBinding, most of the features can be accomplished using other bindings or combination of bindings.

Monday, August 26, 2013 2:56 PM
  • I'm disappointed in this news. I hope there is a more articulate post somewhere that describes how to use the alternate bindings as you suggest.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:15 PM
  • I'm also extremely disappointed in this response.  Please don't abandon those that have invested so much in NetPeerTcpBinding.

I'm not confident it will help, but I stumbled across this bug post for this issue.  Everyone, please take the time to vote it up.  

Sadly, I think many will not discover this until it's already been decommissioned. Framework adoption is always going to lag development.

Friday, January 10, 2014 12:33 AM
  • What ARE some of the "other ways to accomplish the same functionality" in the future of .NET?

Please note that I am asking about "the same functionality".

Thank you for your time.

Rob

Monday, March 31, 2014 2:24 PM