HttpClient PostAsync caught in a deadlock RRS feed

• Question

• User-1641476077 posted

Hi, 

I am doing a web page to pull some JSON data from a site and to display this data out to end user. 

Below is my code:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {

startApi().Wait();

lblCookie.Text = message;
        }

protected static async Task<int> startApi()
        {
            var responseString = await GetLogin();

return 0;

}
        protected static async Task<string> GetLogin()
        {
            var responseString = string.Empty;

try
            {
                string username = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["username"];
                string password = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["password"];
                string loginUrl = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["loginUrl"];
                using (HttpClient client = new HttpClient())
                {
                    client.DefaultRequestHeaders.Accept.Clear();
                    client.DefaultRequestHeaders.Accept.Add(new MediaTypeWithQualityHeaderValue("application/json"));

List<KeyValuePair<string, string>> postData = new List<KeyValuePair<string, string>>();

postData.Add(new KeyValuePair<string, string>("username", username));
                    postData.Add(new KeyValuePair<string, string>("password", password));

FormUrlEncodedContent content = new FormUrlEncodedContent(postData);

//code is in deadlock after the line below HttpResponseMessage response = await client.PostAsync(loginUrl, content); if (response.IsSuccessStatusCode) { message += "response ok <br />"; } else { message += "response failed <br />"; } } } catch (Exception exe) { message += "exception: " + exe.Message + "<br />"; } return responseString; }

Apparently the code is stuck at the line HttpResponseMessage response = await client.PostAsync(loginUrl, content);

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 2:10 AM

Answers

• User36583972 posted

Hi bczm8703,

But if i use .Result, i will not be able to use the await keyword. i am under the assumption that for HTTPClient, i should be using it with await and async

You can use the response.Content.ReadAsStringAsync() to serialize the HTTP content

using (var response = client.PostAsync("/api/FormUrlEncoded", content).Result)
                        {
                             Console.WriteLine(response.StatusCode);

string s = await response.Content.ReadAsStringAsync();
                        }

Best Regards,

Yong Lu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:27 AM

All replies

• User-1641476077 posted

i tried adding ConfigureAwait(false) to the 2 lines of code with the await. i got the following exception

Exception: An error occurred while sending the request.
    Stack Trace: at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) 
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1.ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult()
    at _Default.d__4.MoveNext() in d:\projects\IOT Monitoring System\Default.aspx.cs:line 62

Default.aspx.cs:line 62 points to 

HttpResponseMessage response = await client.PostAsync(loginUrl, content).ConfigureAwait(false);

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:26 AM
  • User36583972 posted

Hi bczm8703,

//code is in deadlock after the line below
                    HttpResponseMessage response = await client.PostAsync(loginUrl, content);

You have use asynchronous call and it will go async all the way unless you you use .Result.

That is what is causing deadlock.

using (var client = new HttpClient())
                {
                    var baseUrl = Request.Url.GetLeftPart(UriPartial.Authority);
                    var uri = new Uri(baseUrl);            
                    client.BaseAddress = uri;             
                    var values = new List<KeyValuePair<string, string>>();
                    values.Add(new KeyValuePair<string, string>("customerID", "CUS01"));
                    using (var content = new FormUrlEncodedContent(values))
                    {
                        {
                        }
                    }
                }

Best Regards,

Yong Lu

Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:09 AM
  • User-1641476077 posted

Hi bczm8703,

bczm8703

//code is in deadlock after the line below
                    HttpResponseMessage response = await client.PostAsync(loginUrl, content);

You have use asynchronous call and it will go async all the way unless you you use .Result.

That is what is causing deadlock.

using (var client = new HttpClient())
                {
                    var baseUrl = Request.Url.GetLeftPart(UriPartial.Authority);
                    var uri = new Uri(baseUrl);            
                    client.BaseAddress = uri;             
                    var values = new List<KeyValuePair<string, string>>();
                    values.Add(new KeyValuePair<string, string>("customerID", "CUS01"));
                    using (var content = new FormUrlEncodedContent(values))
                    {
                        {
                        }
                    }
                }

Best Regards,

Yong Lu

But if i use .Result, i will not be able to use the await keyword. i am under the assumption that for HTTPClient, i should be using it with await and async

Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:20 AM
  • User36583972 posted

Hi bczm8703,

You can use the response.Content.ReadAsStringAsync() to serialize the HTTP content

{

string s = await response.Content.ReadAsStringAsync();
                        }

Best Regards,

Yong Lu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:27 AM