High CPU percentage with Safari 9 Yosemite RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed the Safari 9 update in Yosemite and noticed watching Amazon Prime video that Silverlight is using around 64% CPU cycles which is pretty high and not typical of demand in Safari 8. Was wondering if anyone else has noticed this? 

Friday, October 2, 2015 9:56 AM

Answers

• I suspect it will be using software rather than hardware acceleration.

You might be able to reduce the effect by ensuring it's full screen.

And of course once it is then you won't be doing anything else so the cpu usage will be somewhat academic - so long as it's less than 100%

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: MVVM Step 1; All my Technet Articles

Friday, October 2, 2015 4:48 PM
  • Hi jescott418,

Please try watching Amazon Prime video with another browser to check whether it is caused by browser. In addition, please try with following steps to troubleshoot whether there has any other software cause this problem.
    1. Open Activity Monitor by typing "Activity Monitor" in the spotlight search.  This confirmed launchd was the memory hog
    2. Open a Finder window and type select from the menu:  Go > Go To Folder (or simultaneously press CMD+SHIFT+G keys)
    3. At the prompt, type "/var/log" to access the machine's folder that contains the log files
    4. Sort the folder by "Date Modified" and look for the most latest file called "system.log"
    5. Double click the file to open it in the Console app
    6. Scroll all the way down and see if any lines contain "error," especially repeated lines going back as far as when you noticed the machine was hot.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 2:19 AM

All replies

• I suspect it will be using software rather than hardware acceleration.

You might be able to reduce the effect by ensuring it's full screen.

And of course once it is then you won't be doing anything else so the cpu usage will be somewhat academic - so long as it's less than 100%

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: MVVM Step 1; All my Technet Articles

Friday, October 2, 2015 4:48 PM
  • Hi jescott418,

Please try watching Amazon Prime video with another browser to check whether it is caused by browser. In addition, please try with following steps to troubleshoot whether there has any other software cause this problem.
    1. Open Activity Monitor by typing "Activity Monitor" in the spotlight search.  This confirmed launchd was the memory hog
    2. Open a Finder window and type select from the menu:  Go > Go To Folder (or simultaneously press CMD+SHIFT+G keys)
    3. At the prompt, type "/var/log" to access the machine's folder that contains the log files
    4. Sort the folder by "Date Modified" and look for the most latest file called "system.log"
    5. Double click the file to open it in the Console app
    6. Scroll all the way down and see if any lines contain "error," especially repeated lines going back as far as when you noticed the machine was hot.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 2:19 AM