none
Is WinIOT dead?

Question

• Latest insider build 21 september 2018. Serious issues not addressed.
    Seems to go the same route as Windows Phone.

Sad.

Leo

Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hello Leo,

Microsoft has released October 2018 Update for Windows IoT Core. Microsoft announced that with the next release of Windows 10 IoT, we will provide 10 years of support for both Windows 10 IoT Core and Windows 10 IoT Enterprise. 

What serious issues did you encounter? You can post any problems you run into while using Windows IoT Core and  send suggestions to help us improve your Windows experience.

Best regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 7, 2018 2:59 AM
  • With the latest edition of Raspberry Pi 3 support minimal and no other viable <$50 board that supports Windows IoT, the ability to create substantial numbers of sub-$50 Windows IoT projects is unlikely. This has and will continue to diminish adoption for school projects and makers as is evident by the initial high interest and quick decline in the maker community. And that situation will continue as long as MS continues to take it's hands off attitude of requiring the silicon vendors to provide the supported drivers with no encouragement from MS.

As you all know the maker community is the single greatest reason Arduino has the market share it has now. Without that it would be about as well adopted as the Basic STAMP and other smaller competitors. If MS doesn't start actively embracing and supporting the maker community, then Windows IoT will continue as a limited platform. MS's attestations of 10 year support probably only means "paying support through MSDN" or "major corporations) once the adoption level by makers completely crashes, assuming it hasn't already crashed below the measurable limit.

Just my two cents. I really hope MS will actively engage silicon vendors of low and trivial cost hardware (including pay them for their help) and acquire their reference drivers so that they can be supported in Windows IoT and be more accessible and to reboot maker community interest. The goal needs to be a Windows IoT that can be used in just about any existing current Arduino+LCD+keypad project at comparable total cost, but with better features in order to actively bring makers into the Windows IoT arena, even ones that never considered Windows IoT before. I realize that MS hasn't envisioned Windows IoT as a dominant OS in the maker space, but I think it is necessary for the health and continuation of Windows IoT. Otherwise we are looking at a slow death followed by a totally new code base when Windows 20 (or whatever) comes out. Thus rinse and repeat just like Windows 7 Embedded was (barely adopted).

Looking back to Windows CE 2 we see from experience that MS had a great idea before anyone else, even Apple. But their lack of dedication to innovation opened the door for Android and iOS and Broadcom (depending on which market segment you are talking about) to dominate. Windows IoT may be just that great of an idea, but it's time to double down or admit defeat.

Friday, December 7, 2018 4:21 AM
  • Microsoft has released October 2018 Update for Windows IoT Core. Microsoft announced that with the next release of Windows 10 IoT, we will provide 10 years of support for both Windows 10 IoT Core and Windows 10 IoT Enterprise. 

I didn't know this. Wasn't announced here, was it?

Leo

Sunday, December 9, 2018 12:25 PM
  • Hello Leo,

From this blog, we can see the determination of investing in the IoT of Microsoft. Microsoft will not give up this field as we know IoT is the feature.

@mjmeans, thank you for your suggestion, it is so valuable for improving the IoT for Microsoft.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 10, 2018 1:54 AM
  • Michael

I think the question is about Microsoft's commitment to the Windows IoT platform, not IoT in general. With the recent release of the MT3620 board and apparent energy behind Azure Sphere, one has to wonder where Windows IoT (core/enterprise/etc) fits into Microsoft's IoT strategy. Any insight available on that subject?

Rick

Monday, December 10, 2018 2:17 AM
  • Windows IoT is hardly dead. I have several clients using Enterprise in medical, digital display, industrial controls, etc.

IoT Core is maturing, and the latest release will be supported for 10- years. The new PowerShell build process is an improvement. I have a couple of clients using IoT Core for simple interface solution to their devices.

AzureSphere is new and it intended for the low-end (32-Bit MCUs). It runs Linux in a system on chip solution. There is no GUI display, but you can always connect a serial matrix display if needed. Right now the SDK only supports GPIO and UART. Other I/O to be added over time. Where AzureSphere fits into the market is still being figured out, but you can think of the whole strategy as follows: Enterprise high end full OS implementation, Core middle simple interface, and AzureSphere very low end.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

23 hours 33 minutes ago