Problems with building solution RRS feed

• Question

• I have 21 projects solution written in C# and VB.NET quite often Team Build fails because of the problems in the code. The most often its something like this

f:\BuildServerFolder\......\Classes\TreeView.vb(15): error BC30149: Class 'TreeView' must implement 'Event MenuRetrieved(sender As IMenuServer, e As MenuRetrieveEventArgs)' for interface 'Components.IMenuServer'.
    f:\BuildServerFolder\.......\Classes\TreeView.vb(514): error BC30401: 'MenuRetrieved' cannot implement 'MenuRetrieved' because there is no matching event on interface 'Components.IMenuServer'.

But the mian problem is that its fine in the code. There is an Event in the interface and the class do implement it. Compilation in VS2005 works fine. And the build server do compiles it sometimes at the first attempt sometimes at the 4th.

Any ideas whats going on ? I run VS 2005 SP1, TeamBuild for TFS 2005

Regards,
    Arek

Friday, December 7, 2007 2:07 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, it's very difficult to tell what's going wrong without looking at everything.  My best suggestion would be to look at the buildlog.txt file and note when each dll is built.  Since Team Build does a clean build (unless you've changed the defaults), you'll get failures if the dependencies aren't set correctly to make the projects build in the correct order.

Buck

Saturday, December 15, 2007 1:54 AM
  • What I did was removing all the refferences (all of them including windows.forms, system etc) and later I started to add the needed refferences to get rid of milions and milions of reported errors Smile at the end it turned out the build server now builds almost everytime so there is a hudge difference, thank you for the idea.

Regards,
    Arek
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:12 AM

All replies

• My best guess would be that the cross project references are set up correctly such that the projects aren't being built in the correct order.  Make sure that each project references the other projects that it needs and does not reference the

assemblies created by those projects.  MSBuild, which is used by Team Build to do the actual compilation, relies on the project-to-project references in order to build things in the right order.

Buck

Saturday, December 8, 2007 1:31 AM
  • The projects do contains cross project references, but all of them are set to projects (not the assemblies), I've just checked it again. So there must be some other issue Sad
    Monday, December 10, 2007 7:27 AM
  • Unfortunately, it's very difficult to tell what's going wrong without looking at everything.  My best suggestion would be to look at the buildlog.txt file and note when each dll is built.  Since Team Build does a clean build (unless you've changed the defaults), you'll get failures if the dependencies aren't set correctly to make the projects build in the correct order.

Buck

Saturday, December 15, 2007 1:54 AM
  • What I did was removing all the refferences (all of them including windows.forms, system etc) and later I started to add the needed refferences to get rid of milions and milions of reported errors Smile at the end it turned out the build server now builds almost everytime so there is a hudge difference, thank you for the idea.

Regards,
    Arek
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:12 AM