How use wifi direct

Question

• Hi! Sir,

I would like to ask some questions related to Wi-Fi direct.

1. Does it possible to find device with Wi-Fi direct capability and pair with it via WinRT API by programming?

2. Does it possible to share Internet connection via Wi-Fi direct by Metro style app or Desktop mode app?

Thanks a lot

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• From a Metro style app the Proximity API can connect with WiFi Direct.  Take a look at the Proximity and Tapping quickstarts and the Proximity Sample

For your questions on Desktop apps please ask in the Windows Desktop Development Forums.  You can find the documentation for both WiFi Direct and Internet Connect Sharing APIs in the Using Native WiFi docs.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Bob_Bao Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:30 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:29 PM
  • It's posibble create a Wifi Direct App withouh use the Proximity API?..

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:13 AM
  • 1. Proximity WinRT APIs ,but the PeerFinder APIs will not work for Desktop apps. 

Windows Explorer is metro style app , you may try to use it's process as a service for you desktop apps to call any WinRT APIs , think about it ! 

2. If you really want , i think you can use IoDeviceControl directly to the wi-fi direct device , with  help of this url : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh440293(v=VS.85).aspx , it will be a hard work ;

Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:40 AM
  •  May I ask that  where to find a Wi-Fi Direct API  related sample?
    Friday, July 13, 2012 1:59 AM
  • See the links in my response earlier in this thread.

--Rob

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:16 AM
  • The Proximity sample really works fine via Wi-Fi Direct, but I really want to know how to call the Wi-Fi Direct API directly, such as WFDStartOpenSession function to build my own Wi-Fi Direct based application? And there is a sample like that?
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:29 AM
  • Those API are not available to Metro style apps.

Please don't post the same question in multiple threads. Please try to limit each thread to one question and each question to one thread.

--Rob

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Sorry for  posting the same question in another thread. It is my mistake that would not happen again.

Thanks for your patient answer to my questions,  maybe the question is not clearly enough. What I really want to ask for help is that:

There is a Win32 Wi-Fi Direct API sample  that can show me how to use Wi-Fi Direct?

I can not get an idea from Wi-Fi Direct API  docs  to build a program with Wi-Fi Direct feature, so I need  sample code .Unfortunately,  the SDK's samples does not provide one like that.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:05 AM
  • This forum is for discussion of Metro style app development. For questions about desktop app development please ask in the Windows desktop development forums linked earlier in this thread. If there is a sample demonstrating this it will be in the desktop samples gallery.

--Rob

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:52 PM