How to navigate other Metro App

Question

• How to navigate other Metro App and transfer a data

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:16 AM

Answers

• I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but I think you're wanting to programmatically switch to another app and send a data packet of some kind to it.

In Metro style apps, however, such behavior is blocked by design on the local machine. That is, local inter-process communication channels are blocked, specifically disallowing two Metro style apps from talking to each other, and also prevents desktop and Metro style apps from talking to each other.

The recommended means to transfer data is through the Share contract. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh758314.aspx for details. It means that the source app packages the data it wished to share, then the user invokes the Share charm and selects a target app. In this case the source app does not have the ability to specify the target: that's in the user's control.

.Kraig

• Marked as answer by Dodola Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dodola Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dodola Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:28 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:16 PM

All replies

• I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but I think you're wanting to programmatically switch to another app and send a data packet of some kind to it.

In Metro style apps, however, such behavior is blocked by design on the local machine. That is, local inter-process communication channels are blocked, specifically disallowing two Metro style apps from talking to each other, and also prevents desktop and Metro style apps from talking to each other.

The recommended means to transfer data is through the Share contract. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh758314.aspx for details. It means that the source app packages the data it wished to share, then the user invokes the Share charm and selects a target app. In this case the source app does not have the ability to specify the target: that's in the user's control.

.Kraig

• Marked as answer by Dodola Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dodola Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dodola Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:28 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Thank you very much !!! Really helpful!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:32 PM
  • But of course there's nothing wrong with using a database like SQL Azure or some other DB. Store data up there, and both apps can call from it. And Azure is super cheap...so even if you're budget is small it could be a solution.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:11 PM
  • That's correct. I forgot to mention (in spite of my intention) that all apps (Metro style and desktop) can communicate with each other through web sockets and other online routes, in addition to sharing data through cloud services.

Thanks for the reminder, Harlequin.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:53 PM