Should we normally check Source Control files (*.vssscc, *.vspscc) in ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

Normally when I try to add a solution into Source Control, TFS (Trial Version)  tries to add Source Control files (*.vssscc, *.vspscc) as well ?

Should I normally add these files? What is the correct approach?

Thanks in advance,

Ertobias.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:01 AM

Answers

• Yes, those files should be checked in along with the solution/projects.

-Chad

Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:34 PM

All replies

• The Add To SCC wizard knows what files each project type needs.  I'd trust it unless you have a good reason not to.
    Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:32 PM
  • Yes, those files should be checked in along with the solution/projects.

-Chad

Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:34 PM
  • Source control files (*.vssscc, *.vspscc) are only for VS2008, aren't it?
    and how to make them?

(i've got VS2005 and i really don't know about it)
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:44 PM
  • As mentioned, I would simply go with whatever changes the Add Solution To SCC feature pends for you.  If this is causing problems for you, you'll have to be more specific.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Hi,

...and when it does give you a little problem when you check it in, then what ? :)

Thing is, when I later try to 'get latest' I get the Dialog 'Resolve Conflicts': Conflicting changes have been detected. to resolve conflicts, selct items and click Resolve.
    The detailed description states: 'A writable file by the same name exists locally.

It's not that it is such a big deal to ask it to overwrite everytime you get this message, but geee... you could save a lot of click every day if you didn't have all these unnecessary configs etc. being a little bit off the perfect state.

\Greetings
    • Edited by heisner Monday, June 29, 2009 11:14 AM missed word 'name' in description
    Monday, June 29, 2009 11:12 AM
  • Can you be more specific?  It sounds like one of your sln/proj metadata files is getting checked in to source control, but also being overwritten on disk w/o source control integration.  Obviously one of those behaviors is wrong.

Which file?  What kind of project?
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:19 PM
  • Hi Richard,

The writable file I wrote about in my last post was the .vssscc-file.

I have
    VS2005 [C#] Webapplication (Webservice consumer)
    TF server is also setup to work with VS2008 projects.

This morning VS told told me I could not overwrite specific wsdl-files as these where not writable (I was trying to do a refresh on the web reference in the Solution Explorer).
    My solution was to delete the web reference and create a new with the same URL.
    To make it recognize the update of web reference I was initially forced to use a new name, later I could change it back to the original name.

My list of filetypes checked in:

Root folder
    .aspx
    .aspx.cs
    .aspx.designer.cs
    .csproj
    .csproj.user
    .sln
    .vssscc
    web.config

Web references folder (+one more level down)
    .datasource
    .wsdl
    .xsd
    .cs
    .map

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:47 AM
  • I haven't used VS2005 in a long time.  Even in 2008, though, I've seen many cases where projects with web services (both traditional and WCF) issued very strange requests to the source control provider.  I hope those teams pay better attention to SCC integration in the future.  If you have a specific case you can reproduce, it would help if you filed it with MS so the TFS team and the folks responsible for various project systems can iron it out together.

BTW, *.user files should not be checked in.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:47 PM
  • \Thx
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:53 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, but TFS2010 STILL wants those *.user files and *.suo files to be checked in. It DOES NOT exclude them itself. I still go through and de-select them so that they aren't checked in.

--
    Phillip
    Phillip H. Blanton
    Friday, March 12, 2010 1:40 AM
  • Philip,
    can you describe how exactly you are adding those files to source control? Are you using "Add solution to source control"? Are you using command in Source Control Explorer? Are you using "tf add"? Only the first approach is aware of project specific files and was designed for adding whole solutions to source control. The other way will not add bindings to the sln and proj files as well will cause problems in the future.
    Michal Malecki TFS Version Control Client
    Friday, March 12, 2010 2:26 PM