Google Maps questions?? RRS feed

• Question

• User-631683198 posted

hi,

i am using google maps and in a SQL database I have longitude and latitude stored of my

members location.

On databound markers are displayed on the map.  I want to show where the members are located

to visitors to my site, but I dont want to give exact address of members for security reasons.

If a visitors scroll right down they can see the street and location.

Is there a way to offer some sort of protection but still showing general location?

my second question is how can I set the map so that it only shows UK on loading?

thanks

Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:18 PM

Answers

• User-359936451 posted

You can set the default map lat and lon to a location within the UK so that it will open there. Pick a location and zoom level that represents the majority of the continent you wish to display.

Secondly, you can truly obscure the location if you are placing a lat lon coordinate. By definition it is a specific location, usually with an accuracy of about 15 to 30 feet.

You could add and or subtract some precision from the lat and lon values to skew the exact location but street view still allows for looking around. Or calculate the site location and use that as the target point if that isn't too far away. So an point within the bounds of London would target the City Hall for example or some other public location.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 8, 2014 12:39 PM