none
Unable to connect to SQL Data Warehouse using Azure Data Studio on MacOS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am getting below error message while connecting to Microsoft SQL Server on Azure Data Studio on MacOS. My laptop IP address is added to the firewall allowed IP addresses.

I am following the instructions from here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/understand-the-sql-dw-connector-with-azure-databricks/2-setup-the-environment

ERROR MESSAGE:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

I have tried several times but no success. Tried replicating steps by creating a new Azure Databricks workspace and SQL Data Warehouse server in West Europe region instead of UK South. The issue is not resolved. Below are the other details:

Connection: Microsoft SQL Server

Server: testdwsqlserver.database.windows.net

Authentication Type: SQL Login

User name: dwlab

Database: testwarehouseserver

Thanks

Smith

• Edited by Smith Kakar Thursday, September 5, 2019 6:35 PM additional information
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Smith

Can you check if the SQL Server default port - 1433 is in "Listening" state or not in your MAC system.

Please go through the link to get the instructions for this validation check.

And if it works, Can you try doing a telnet validation to the DataWarehouse - Instructions are part of this link.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Sunday, September 8, 2019 5:37 AM
  • Additionally...

With the statement, "My laptop IP address is added to the firewall allowed IP addresses." Are you behind a firewall and, by chance, is your laptop IP address a private IP and not a Public IP? You need to add the Public IP. From the client host you are attempting to connect from (Mac) please go to the following link to ensure the IPv4 address shown as the results is the same IP added to the allowlist: https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, September 9, 2019 4:49 PM
  • Hi

I am writing to follow up this thread with you. Have you solved your issue? If you have solved your issue, please  mark helpful replies as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue. 

Thank you

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:41 AM