none
Outlook find a contact with AutoComplete option RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have taken the below screenshot from outlook 2010 in which find a contact editbox has autocomplete dropdown. But i have seen this in only one system in rest of the system it actual displays a dropdown search. Can we create a editbox with autocomplete option in Outlook or Word?

Regards,

Megarekaa.

Friday, December 30, 2011 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Megarekaa,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It’s based on my experience that your goal is hard to approach. Ribbon doesn’t provide any interface or method to do that. I will involve some experts into this. There might be some time dely. Appreciate your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, January 2, 2012 5:44 AM
  • Hi Megarekaa,

The only generic control in this area that is specifically designed for use by developers would be the "Microsoft Outlook Recipient Control." However, this control was designed to be used with Outlook custom forms and form regions, so it is not supported for use in other form containers (like Visual Studio), the ribbon, etc. I would venture to guess this is probably not what you are looking for.

Also, I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by "autocomplete." There is Outlook's AutoComplete list, which presents a list of recipients that have been used already, and then there are scenarios where the controls dynamically search the address books based on user input (which seems to be what your screenshot is showing). While knowing which you are really looking for would be helpful, I'm afraid in either case you would have to create your own control (and possiblly form) to do all of this work "manually." Alternatively, you may want to see if there are any third-party controls that may handle scenarios like this.

Bill Jacob - Microsoft Customer Service & Support - Developer Messaging
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for your reply. I actually meant the autosuggest feature as in the image above. Iam working on creating a custom Addin in Outook in which i have a search feature which should have a editbox with the AutoSuggest feature. I have two questions.

1. The above image is taken from Outlook 2010. I one of my collegue system, i saw this AutoSuggest dropdown, to my suprise i even use the same Version of outlook build 'find a Contact' shows only a dropdown without any AutoSuggest. I just want to know how am able to see this difference?

2. How to create a EditBox with AutoSuggest feature?

Regards,

Megarekaa.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Hi Megarekaa,

For #1, are the address books settings the same on both systems? Click the Address Book button and then in the address book window, check Tools / Options to see if the search order is the same. I see there are various posts on the internet about the "Find a Contact" dropdown not working (in some way or another), but offhand I'm not familiar with this issue and after searching a bit, I didn't seem to find a specific answer to this problem.

For #2, I'm afraid there is no easy answer here, and it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish given the environment(s) you need to take into account. For example, are you looking to replicate Outlook's dropdown for use in a standalone product that will run in any environment? Or do you just need to search a specifc address book for an in-house solution, like the GAL or a Contacts folder? The object model (and various other APIs) exposes the raw data from the address books, but doesn't provide any type of functionality for searching and rendering search results against the address books. This would all need to be coded from scratch.

As an alternative and "easy way out," you could use the GetSelectNamesDialog method (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff867382.aspx) and let the users pick contacts that way.

Bill Jacob - Microsoft Customer Service & Support - Developer Messaging
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 7:18 PM
  • EditBox or combobox AutoSuggestion is still problem.
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 2:34 PM