MySites in the cloud? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am planning a hybrid SP 2013 environment, and I have a question about MySites. If all users have "cloud CALs" (which they will have (E3)), is it possible, or sensible, to not install a MySite web application on premise, and only use the cloud for that purpose? Or, to put it in another way, would it be redundant to set up MySites on premise?

I can see security issues with having possibly sensitive documents in the cloud, but if the company policy allows it, would it be a good idea?

Any thoughts?

/Jakob

• Edited by J. Rohde Monday, June 10, 2013 5:43 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 9:08 AM

Answers

• One of my customers had the same idea. They wanted to have MySite in the cloud instead of in SharePoint On-premises. I highly recommended them to consider Yammer integrating with SharePoint 2013 even there are some duplicates (activity, newsfeed, community ...) but having Yammer will definitively fill the gap of lack of a few things in SharePoint 2013. For example, you can't share micro-blog posts like Facebook, Twitter in SharePoint 2013 built-in social features. There is no bulk notification like Facebook although you get notified through email. You can't track fully activities of someone if you aren't following him.

Cloud adoption is very slow and security concern is always a buzz-word. However, Microsoft is one of the most trusted providers as you can see the large number of their customers using Office 365 and Yammer.

Regards,
    -T.s

Thuan Soldier
    A 23-year-old man loving Microsoft technologies and making crazy ideas on business journey.
    SharePoint Vietnam | Blog | Twitter

• Marked as answer by Qiao Wei Monday, June 17, 2013 2:25 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 4:01 AM