none
Multiple clients and processes - Windows Azure Storage

Question

• I have an application that needs to process various media file types with third-party tools (ImageMagick, Exiftool and FFMpeg, etc.) and I would like to create a temporary processing directory and once done with the processing move the files to the main storage.  

How would I achieve this with Windows Azure?  It is my understanding that Azure storage does not allow for multi-level containers.  Would I create a container just for processing or do I have access to create a directory in the windows temp folder?  This is also a process that will involve multiple users at one time doing processing (hence the processing directories).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:30 AM

Answers

• I'd create that temporary processing directory on the Temporary Storage Disk which is attached to each machine in Azure. When processing starts, copy the file from Blob Storage (or wherever it is located) to the local disk, process it until all the tools are done, and move the output file back to Blob Storage.

Only downside is that if the VM goes down for some reason, the intermediary files on the temp drive may be lost, and you have to restart whole processing. If you would have had them on Blob Storage, another VM could have picked up from where you left, but in that case you also need some locking etc, so using a local folder seems much simpler approach.

• Marked as answer by derral09 Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:28 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:05 AM