Does Astoria support MS Access Databases? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I went through the tutorial on setting up a Northwind SQL DB on Astoria, which worked great. Does Astoria work with Access databases? Also, does anyone have a tutorial/example of this setup?

Thanks,

-Robert

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:56 PM

Answers

• Astoria supports anything that can be exposed by the Entity Data Model...so... if you can generate an EDM from it, you should be able to expose it as an Astoria service.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:49 PM

All replies

• I'm thinking that the nature of Astoria is to expose an entity model to the "outside" through POX-style XML web services. The nature of this means you've got lots of users coming through a tube into a database. Access has never (in my opinion) ever handled this scenario well.. in fact, I've never successfully used an Access database in high-volume multi-user scenarios. I remember a company I worked for did it once, but we were all told to stop doing it immediately, or it would rip a hole in the fabric of space-time.

So the short answer is : regardless of whether you can do it in Astoria... why would you?

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 2:53 PM
  • Rip a hole in time space in a multi-user enviroment. Is that a new feature in Access 07? I need to get it! That was funny.

I know Access is not a multi-user stud, but for me it easier to setup on a remote website. On occasion, I create an application just to test some code out. Typically it involves data manipulation of some kind. It is easier for me to setup an Access database, instead of having to go through my provider and setting up the sql server.

Astoria uses ADO.Net, this  has a provider for Access, so why wouldn't you be able to setup this type of database?

-Robert

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:11 PM
  • Astoria supports anything that can be exposed by the Entity Data Model...so... if you can generate an EDM from it, you should be able to expose it as an Astoria service.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:49 PM