how to host asp.net website through Microsoft visual studio 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• User-1244134376 posted

i want to host my website, I have developed it using Microsoft visual studio 2008. My pages are working fine and when I debug it opens in browser with link http://localhost:1332/WebSite/home.aspx

Now I want to put it to my domain name. How do i go ahead with this?
    i have registered domain name but in my laptop i don't have IIS(Is it even needed?)

Or if possible lets forget about domain name for time being, if at all i want to show this website to some of my friends who dont have Visual studio, then which link do I share?

Monday, September 23, 2013 11:24 AM

Answers

• User351203563 posted

You need a web server which has a public Ip to host your website for everyone. Generally people goes for website hosting provider to get some space and host in their server. For example godaddy.com. There are two types:  shared hosting and independent. Shared hosting is cheaper. The provider charges subscription fees.  If you already have taken subscription to such provider , you can use their control panel to configure your website  and do not need IIS in your machine.  you can share with friends from your machine only if it is in a intranet domain (local LAN). i.e if your machine is  part of a network and you configure the site in your local machine, then  other in the same network can browse the site using your machine name or IP in the url.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 12:30 PM

All replies

• User351203563 posted

You need a web server which has a public Ip to host your website for everyone. Generally people goes for website hosting provider to get some space and host in their server. For example godaddy.com. There are two types:  shared hosting and independent. Shared hosting is cheaper. The provider charges subscription fees.  If you already have taken subscription to such provider , you can use their control panel to configure your website  and do not need IIS in your machine.  you can share with friends from your machine only if it is in a intranet domain (local LAN). i.e if your machine is  part of a network and you configure the site in your local machine, then  other in the same network can browse the site using your machine name or IP in the url.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 12:30 PM
  • User311508580 posted

Hi way2ankita,

You can find .net hosting provider. Then please just upload all your files via FTP to your hosting provider root folder.

Monday, September 23, 2013 11:47 PM
  • User-1635195291 posted

Hi way2ankita,

For Hosting a site have a look at the Rion's solution and others replies in the thread below:

For Deploying on the Server:

If you have a hosting (e.g. at godaddy), copy all files via FTP or web interface to your server and call URL of your host.

For code-behind projects you don't need to copy *.vb and *.cs files.

If you want to run it locally, setup a website in IIS, target it to your project folder and try to run.

or else follow:

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jatin

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:03 AM
  • User-801004448 posted

Or if possible lets forget about domain name for time being, if at all i want to show this website to some of my friends who dont have Visual studio, then which link do I share?

If you use laptop, you can show website on your laptop to your friends.

If you want to make website available on the internet, you need to purchase a Windows hosting package, point your domain to hosting, and upload website files to hosting.

Friday, September 27, 2013 1:36 AM