Duplicate Sessions RRS feed

• Question

• User-366543718 posted
    We're building a web-based app (no kidding, right?) that our users launch from a shortcut on the desktop.  The shortcut target is ["C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://oursite/]

It seems that, on occasion, the same session is being assigned to consecutive windows (i.e. they open a window, then double-click the icon again to open a second window and both get the same session ID and other information that we jam in the session at startup).  We even tried jamming a GUID into the Session scope at session start after reading that IIS may occasionally issue the same session ID to 2 different sessions if the first session had nothing done with it, however we were able to open two consecutive pages with the same GUID displayed in the page.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?  Any work-arounds?
    Wednesday, April 20, 2005 6:11 PM

All replies

• User1109032460 posted

It's possibly a browser issue.

One dirty(ish) workaround that I can think of is that your shortcut url sends them to a starter page that just has a call to Session.Abandon() in the Page_Load event, before redirecting them to the normal start page. That might close out any session object, but if it really is a browser issue (reusing the same session cookie, for example), then even that might not work.

Anyway, this might be worth a try.

Thursday, April 21, 2005 2:06 AM
  • User-366543718 posted
    With great vim and vigor, I rushed to try this out, filled with a hope that could not be contained....but alas, the issue does appear to be with IE.  I may have to find a way to get 30 police departments to standardize on Firefox...
    Thursday, April 21, 2005 12:27 PM
  • User-366543718 posted
    FYI: I received a work-around via email from someone abroad (thank you sir).

The soution was posted on his blog, the link to which I will post as soon as I have his permission to do so.
    Monday, April 25, 2005 1:04 PM
  • User573258190 posted

The best way is to use the Duplicate Files Deleter.

Monday, November 6, 2017 3:13 PM