Has anybody used Blacklight in Expression Blend 4.0? RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to use the dockable panels from this site: http://mightymeaty.members.winisp.net/blacklight.silverlight/

But I get a nasty error when I try to recompile their source code. Has anybody been able to run their code in 4.0 successfully? I'd like to know how if possible.

Here is the error I get:
    "Tasks.GetSilverlightItemsFromProperty task could not be loaded from the assembly Tasks.dll. Could not load file or assembly Tasks.dll or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Confirm that the declaration is correct, that t he assebly and all its depedencies are available, and that the task contains a publicclass t hat implements ITask."

I have downloaded their code multiple times to make sure I got all the dll's.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:33 PM

Answers

• Your problem seems similar to this one:

https://forums.silverlight.net/forums/p/188793/437929.aspx

Looks like it is unrelated to those controls in particular, but rather a missing file on your machine.

• Proposed as answer by Chuck HaysModerator Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elmo84 Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:40 PM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:02 PM

All replies

• Your problem seems similar to this one:

https://forums.silverlight.net/forums/p/188793/437929.aspx

Looks like it is unrelated to those controls in particular, but rather a missing file on your machine.

• Proposed as answer by Chuck HaysModerator Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elmo84 Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:40 PM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:02 PM
  • Chuck, you're right. People have encountered this problem before. I just found this thread as well:
    http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/thread/1e6c78bc-695e-4e73-832c-0774a0bad396

Is getting the dll via email still an option? :)

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:20 PM
  • Sure, just send an email to me at first.last@microsoft.com using my name and I'll send it. There is probably a correct solution out there for what is missing, but I haven't been able to identify it yet.
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:16 PM
  • The last company I worked for we designed our entire first release of an application around Martin Grayson's Blacklight.  It got rave reviews from the audience but it was a developers/designers nightmare.  We were only interested in the Drag/Drop Panel Control but all the code on the backend is linked to all the other controls and it became a headache trying to figure out which code we didn't need and what code was essential for the drag/drop panels.  We eventually threw up our hands and took it all but that made the app heavier than it needed to be.

We tried talking to Martin Grayson a few times and he really didn't like giving support for the controls.  After all you get what you pay for and I don't blame him.

The company decided to go with Telerik for later releases and that was an even bigger nightmare.  I left soon after for greener pastures.

The Blacklight controls are cool but a good developer should be able to recreate from scratch most of those controls and you might avoid all the unneeded code that goes along with blacklight that you won't ever use.

Just my two cents.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Thanks, Chuck. It worked!
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Good insight, Zachary. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with Blacklight! I would love to find some simple dockable panels out there.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Yeah I wish Martin would release those controls as stand-alone instead of one package.  Although I haven't played with it since later versions and it might be easier to figure it out now.  The fluid motions of his panels are great.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:22 PM