Stephen's Cascade Controls Implementation RRS feed

• Question

• User-326746839 posted

Hi,

Is there a clean version of the Cascading Hierarchichal controls of Stephen Naughton's controls?

The ones found in its download examples are filled with some other "foreign" components to this solution.

Best regards

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador)

Sunday, July 20, 2014 3:03 PM

All replies

• User-330204900 posted

Hi Carlos, not sure what you mean? e-mail me direct and I will send you my full sample.

Sunday, July 20, 2014 6:57 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi Carlos, not sure what you mean? e-mail me direct and I will send you my full sample.

DONE ... !!!

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:50 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi,

In the book "Pro Dynamic .NET 4.0 Applications: Data-Driven Programming for the .NET Framework" by Carl Ganz, in Chapter 5 you find 

"Instantiating Web Controls" ... which BTW sounds magic ... and that's the way I think "Cascading" should work actually !!!

If you have set the UIHint and Cascading attributes 
    for those fields that SHOULD CASCADE 
    then the logical thing to do should be 
    allowing the cascading controls 
    to be instantiated at proper time 
    passing parameters among them 
    in the Dynamic Data intrinsic way of doing things, isn't it?

[CascadeHierarchical("Entity1", "Entity2", "Entity3", "Entity4")]

e.g.:

PLEASE NOTE AND BE WARNED THAT THE FOLLOWING 
    IS JUST MY CHILDISH MIND REPRESENTATION 
    OF WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO ACCOMPLISH

So if I have created 4 dropdown field templates that work like: 

1) I am the starting point in the cascade ... I am the "CascadingOne" dropdownlist control  I am using <Table1> as my DataSource 

2) I am "CascadingTwo". I am the second DropDownList control in the cascading to be built and I am using as my DataSource the information sent to me by the "CascadinOne" control which is carrying the data belonging to the choice made by the user . MY DATASOURCE IS TABLE2 AND ALSO THE CASCADING DATA COLLECTED FROM THE FIRST CASCADING CONTROL

3) I am "CascadingThree". I am the third DropDownList control in the cascading to be built and I am using as my DataSource the information sent to me by the "CascadingOne" and CascadingTwo" controls which are carrying the data belonging to the choices made by the user. MY DATASOURCE IS TABLE3 AND ALSO THE CASCADING DATA COLLECTED FROM THE FIRTS AND SECOND CASCADING CONTROL

4) I am "CascadingFour". I am the fourth DropDownList control in the cascading to be built and I am using as my DataSource the information sent to me by the "CascadingOne" ,"CascadingTwo" and"CascadingThree" controls which are carrying the data belonging to the choices made by the user. MY DATASOURCE IS TABLE4 AND ALSO THE CASCADING DATA COLLECTED FROM THE FIRTS, SECOND AND THIRD CASCADING CONTROL

Sunday, August 17, 2014 7:56 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi,

Will you mind revisiting this topic please?

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador)

Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:14 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Carlos, Are you trying to cascade two dropdown lists into one?

Sunday, November 23, 2014 5:51 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi Steve

This is the same question I have been asking for years. I just tried to use a different approach 
    as to make myself understand more easily but it seems its going backwards instead

What I really need to know is this:

1) Let's say I have a table in which I need to have customized as to gather results from previous controls, 
    as instantiating them like a function, passing what is coming from the first control as the input parameter of the second control
    and so on up to a n-level of deepness 

2) Let's also say that I have a table in which I must use the country-state-city controls many different times, as selecting the country of the product manufacturer,
    the city of the person who is selling the product, the address of the contact persons, ... and so on

I know I won't be understood again

Carlos N.. Porras
    (El Salvador)

Monday, November 24, 2014 8:28 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

OK that is working on my opens source project that I will have up really soon, sorry for the delays but it's just down to workload sorry.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:47 AM