none
Software Product Licencing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am part of a product development. We need to implement licencing for the product. Product have various modules and UIs like windows, web etc. Which is the best licencing approch for this scenario. Our team askign for module level licencing. How can i achive this? Any ideas?

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:18 AM

All replies

• The simplest solution is to insist a web service is used and to issue some sort of unique clientid.

You will also need to obfuscate your software so they can't crack it and obviate or  mock the service.

It's a subject of itself though and you have to balance ease of registration, potential issues introduced by your mechanism and time spent inventing it against how much you think it's worth.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:38 AM
  • Thanks for your commesnt. Can you explain your logic. I didnt get clearly as i am new to this
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Any code you deliver onto the client can be spoofed, cracked or copied.

If the code instead stays on your server then the person wishing to pirate has a harder time.

If you just compile code then someone can easily use something like reflector to see what the code is from the exe.

Then they can steal your ideas or mod it and generally make a mockery of your software licensing.

So you need to obfuscate the code.

Whatever method of protection you use, it can potentially be circumvented if someone puts some effort into it.

The cleverer your protection is, the harder it is to design write and maintain.

The harder  all these are then the more it costs.

And... the more issues you will have because of your protection.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:34 PM