none
Selfcert.exe can a team digital certificate be created for developers to sign code RRS feed

• Question

• Using Microsofts selfcert.exe  to create digital certificates to sign macro code seem to be user based. 

I was wondering if it’s possible to  create a generic account/ digital certificate a team of developers could use to sign code, instead of individual user names.

When I use selfcert to generate a digital certificate. I export the digital certificate. And then deploy the digital certificate to the machines. and make as a Trusted Publisher and as Trusted Root Certification Authorities.

The result is the digital certificate is Trusted. However in Excel, Developer, in Visual Basic Applications, Tools, Digital Signature…Choose

The only digital certificate that’s available is the user certificate created.

Is it possible to have a generic team digital certificate available so a team of developers can use this to sign code.

Also , in the application Excel in Options, Trust Centre, Trust Centre Settings…Trusted Publishers. the names are listed. Does this mean all the individual users will display and be listed.

Again I would prefer a generic team account.

Can this be done

or is this a limitation using selfcert.exe

TIA

• Edited by dd_ Tuesday, October 31, 2017 2:48 AM
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 2:45 AM

All replies

• Thanks all

With the help of the system administrators team..This is now resolved.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 11:37 PM
  • Hello,

It would be greatly appreciated if you could share your solution here. Besides, I suggest you mark your post or solution as answer to close this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:10 AM
  • Actually this didnt work as expected,  the certificates created are still user based.

so an answer and response would be great!

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 11:06 PM
  • Hello,

Selfcert.exe is used to create a self-signing certificate. I think you could create the self-signing certificate and then deploy it to other users. Please visit Deploy Certificates by Using Group Policy 

After some search, you may use Active Directory Certificate Services to create a certificate for your team

The following links might be helpful:

Deploy User Certificates

Step-by-Step Guide to Mapping Certificates to User Accounts

As this forum is for development issues when using Office Object Model, your issue about certificate and signing is actually out of scope. I suggest you post on Windows Server forum to get professional support if you have issues to create or deploy certificate.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 6:36 AM