none
Developing application using the .NET framework licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any license requirements when using the .NET framework for creating a commercial application? Is there everything you need to know in the .NET framework EULA ? (i.e when you install .NET 4) or are there other requirements too ? Talking about the EULA, it says that you have to have a licensed version of the OS.I do have an XP license but if I want my application to be used on Windows7, should I get a 7 license too?

As far as redistributing the framework,I am not planning to do so but will ask the user to download it

Friday, July 6, 2012 5:17 AM

Answers

• No.

Microsoft has made the .NET Framework (all versions) freely available to all users, including developers who create .NET applications.

The OS license requirement pertains to your machine. As a developer, you must have a licensed Windows platform, but you are not required to hold licenses for other Windows versions your applications may be installed on. The licensed Windows requirement for machines your app may be installed on is the responsibility of the system owner.

You are also free to redistribute .NET Frameworks with your app, or have your users install the needed version if no already present on the target system.

Friday, July 6, 2012 3:38 PM