restore sql2005 SE Database to sql2005 EE RRS feed

• Question

• Hai,

I have Need to restore My SQL2005 SE database to SQL2005 EE ..is this possible..? any one please help me.

Thanks

Senthil Kumar.N

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:25 AM

Answers

• Therefore, it doesn't concern any more restore from SD To ED or vice versa as long as they are stick to the above rules

the above statement is not correct.

if you're using Enterprise Edition feature in the database than you can't restore it to a Standard Edition.

the most important EE features may be:

- table partitioning

- database compression (available since SQL 2008)

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:56 PM

All replies

• Yes, it is possible as long as Restore actions is doing as  long as the destination instance to restore DB at it is the same as source one for versions/minor version number or less as follows:

• The first one( source )is 10.50.1600 and the other one (destination) is 10.50.2500 which in other words reflects SQL Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 )

• Or the 1<sup>st</sup> one is 10.0.1600 and the 2<sup>nd</sup> one is 10.50.1600
    • But it can't be from 10.50.1600  to 10.0.1600

Therefore, it doesn't concern any more restore from SD To ED or vice versa as long as they are stick to the above rules

Kindly let me know if any further help is needed

Shehap (DB Consultant/DB Architect) Think More deeply of DB Stress Stabilities

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Therefore, it doesn't concern any more restore from SD To ED or vice versa as long as they are stick to the above rules

the above statement is not correct.

if you're using Enterprise Edition feature in the database than you can't restore it to a Standard Edition.

the most important EE features may be:

- table partitioning

- database compression (available since SQL 2008)

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Hai,

Tried with detach and attach  method  and also tried to restore from SQL2005 SE .bkp file:-(

but getting error like version in-compatible ,could you please Tell me how to restore the DB... any other option please explain me.

Thanks

Senthil Kumar.N

Friday, July 20, 2012 10:15 AM
  • hello Senthil,

please execute the following SQL statement on both SQL Server instance:

SELECT @@version

this will give a the exact version of the two SQL Server instance and we can tell you the reason for your problem

Friday, July 20, 2012 10:39 AM
  • Hi senthikumar,

Comparing the version number of SQL Server Standard Edition instance and SQL Server Enterprise Edition instance, you could restore the database from a lower version instance to a higher version instance.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:32 PM
  • yes u can restore, but verify which version of edition you rare using

if there is same version of SQL Server  with different edition not a problem

to check more about your SQL Server check my blog

http://sqlservr.blog.com/2012/07/06/how-to-know-the-server-details-of-your-server/

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:47 PM