Small compact db for tiny site RRS feed

• Question

• User-754876135 posted

Hi all

My daughter is getting married and I am setting up a small RSVP page on my web server. I do NOT want to create a SQL database or table to hold the response data. I would prefer something really simple that I can just send to her, like an Excel spreadsheet. But I am concerned that two people may try to update it at the same time. I was thinking of either using Access or the SQL Compact file. Once again, I don't want it integrated with the SQL server on my web server.

So what might be the EASIEST way to do this.

Thanks

Friday, April 22, 2011 1:41 PM

Answers

• User595841651 posted

XML may be an option, or just a simple text file.

If you do the OPEN/WRITE/CLOSE all in the same method you're probably fine, unless you daughters wedding is REALLY REALLY big...and if that's the case you're gonna have to expand to a more robust system.

Many sites run on XML and many apps let you import it as a datasource for MailMerge, etc...

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 3:41 PM

All replies

• User595841651 posted

XML may be an option, or just a simple text file.

If you do the OPEN/WRITE/CLOSE all in the same method you're probably fine, unless you daughters wedding is REALLY REALLY big...and if that's the case you're gonna have to expand to a more robust system.

Many sites run on XML and many apps let you import it as a datasource for MailMerge, etc...

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 3:41 PM
  • User1508394307 posted

Sqlite?

http://www.google.com/search?q=sqlite+asp.net

Friday, April 22, 2011 4:42 PM
  • User269602965 posted

With MS Access you create tables and access with SQL statements via ASP.NET.

So why not use MSSQL Express?

Friday, April 22, 2011 7:04 PM
  • User-754876135 posted

I don't want this app showing up in my SQL Server and I want it to be easy for my daughter to get the data. I ended up with Access, but I probably should have gone with an XML file, or even a text file.

Thanks

Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:44 AM
  • User269602965 posted

XML is okay for reading small datasets, like a lookup value,

but a pain to manage data and write to,

so MSAccess is a good choice.

One gotcha on MS Access, make sure you run COMPACT function often

as MSAccess tends to accumulate junk, fragment, and grows exponentiially as you read and write to the data tables,

use access forms, run queries and reports.

Called MS Acccess BLOAT by some old time Access developers, well known problem.

You can compact the database from code behind web page.

http://archive.databasepronews.com/databasepronews-51-20061220CompactanAccessDatabasefromNET.html

Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:20 AM