none
Password and Performance RRS feed

• Question

• Using Access 2013, does performance suffer slightly after adding a password to the frontend database?

If this post answered or helped you find the answer to your question, please mark it as such for other Forum users knowledge.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 3:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Encrypting the front end does not affect the data unless you have tables in the front end too.

Just my 2 cents...

• Marked as answer by DriveEV Wednesday, August 15, 2018 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Encrypting the front end does not affect the data unless you have tables in the front end too.

Just my 2 cents...

• Marked as answer by DriveEV Wednesday, August 15, 2018 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 3:48 PM
  • hmm, what do you gain by using a front-end password? Why not just using proper NTFS/share permissions on the backend?
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 3:49 PM
  • The frontends (yes more then on) are too complex to compile “Make ACCDE”.  A small compiled launcher with button controls open the frontends.  Anyone with MS Access and NTFS/share knowledge can open a frontend from the share and be malicious.  If the frontends are password protected, they won’t be able to open them directly.  Just trying to be more secure.  I have found doing so has added some slight lag.  Some temp tables do exist in the frontends, I’ll look into eliminating them.  Thanks DBguy.

If this post answered or helped you find the answer to your question, please mark it as such for other Forum users knowledge.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 4:10 PM
  • "being too complex" indicates problems, which should be solved. But even then, "being malicious" is only possible, when the backend, thus the data model is not properly designed. If "being malicious" means accessing data, which they shouldn't, then you need to switch to SQL Server, where you can implement proper data (table, view and row level) access based on the user or his groups using Windows integrated authentication.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

Here's a demo on how to use a Temprary Database instead of a Temporary Table you might be able to consider.

Good luck!

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 4:36 PM
  • I have front ends with hundreds of objects, thousands of lines of code and I've never had one "too complex" to compile into an ACCDE. That error sounds like coding errors. Can you compile the project? I bet not.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 7:44 PM
  • It would take an unacceptable amount of time to isolate why some of these frontends can't compile.  This project was touched by several Access developers over 15 years.  If Microsoft had a more precise error message rather than the generic one below, solving the issue wouldn't be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I know for a fact the errors have nothing to do with the number of objects in these frontends.

I have gotten the error in a small frontend and corrected it by removing code referring to forms that no longer existed.

• Edited by DriveEV Friday, August 17, 2018 12:32 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2018 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

Bill asked earlier if you could "compile" the project. Can you (without errors)?

If you're getting errors trying to compile the project, then you can't create a ACCDE out of it. Try fixing all the errors first and then try to make the ACCDE again.

Just my 2 cents...

Friday, August 17, 2018 2:52 PM
  • "unacceptable amount of time"...Hmm. First thing I'd do is make sure every module has an Option Explicit in the General declarations section. That would let the compiler point out every undeclared variable when you manually compile.

While creating some sort of security might be fun it's also doing unnecessary work that compiling into an ACCDE could accomplish. Then you could focus on what really needs to be secured.

Then again, there are products available for analyzing databases. FMS is my favorite.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Friday, August 17, 2018 3:17 PM
  • I have gotten the error in a small frontend and corrected it by removing code referring to forms that no longer existed.

This indicates file corruption.

In this case, you need to isolate the offending object (code module or form module); then save that object using the hidden method Application.SaveToText; now delete or rename that object; finally, import it using Application.LoadFromText.

Just do this in the immediate window in the VBA IDE.

Friday, August 17, 2018 7:59 PM