Can I use databases created with Standard Edition with databases created in Enterprise Edition? RRS feed

• Question

• I have 5 databases on SQL 2005 on SQL Server A - Standard Edition. I will be upgrading them to SQL 2012 Standard Edition.

I will then transfer the 5 databases to a company hosting our new system.  They are using 2012 Enterprise.  They already have 3 new databases in use created in Enterprise. 

We will be putting the 5 databases from Standard on the Enterprise server.

Is there any problem having databases created in different editions on the same enterprise server?

• Edited by SinginJimmy Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:41 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:38 PM

All replies

• There is no problem with this. Going from Enterprise Editions to Standard Edition might be problematic.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:45 PM
  • If you missed the big announcement today, as of SQL Server 2016 SP1, the same Consistent Programmability Surface can be used across all versions (with a couple of caveats).   This will then permit databases to run on any edition with the performance and scalability being the differentiators. 

This is a HUGE reason to upgrade to SQL Server 2016 instead of 2012.   Why go to 2012 when this is already 2 versions old??

Martin Cairney SQL Server MVP

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 10:53 PM
  • Hi SinginJimmy,

You might also need to use SQL Server 2012 upgrade advisor to analyze your databases as it addresses issues when you are upgrade\migrate to a newer version of SQL Server. The download link is available in SQL Server 2012 feature pack.

For more information, please refer to BOL for Deprecated Database Engine Features and Discontinued Database Engine Functionality.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:26 AM