none
Possible memory leak on Visual Studio 2013 Update 5?

Question

• Hi

Few days ago I posted this question, which complains Visual studio 2013 is randomly crashing after I updated it to 5 RTM.

I found that crashing doesn't happen in safemode. And I found abnormal memory behavior of Visual Studio 2013, and it seem it is related to crashing.

I checked the memory usage of the Visual Studio with VMMAP program, and it showed the memory usage is abnormally increasing. This image was captured during I just loaded a c# wpf application and leave it (I didn't do anything with the Visual Studio). Also CodeLens was turned off.

It just increased and crashed just after the memory usage met about 3.5 GB (it seems like the maximum memory size 32bit application can use). The graph shows the heap usage is the most contribution to the total memory usage increasing (this is why I say possible 'memory leak').

These are the plugins installed on Visual Studio (most of them came with the initial Visual Studio installation).

Anybody have any ideas to tackle this problem?

Thank you.

• Edited by jk_toottoot Tuesday, February 02, 2016 2:53 AM correcting typos
    Tuesday, February 02, 2016 2:52 AM

Answers

• I think I just have found a solution.

Source Control is the problem.

I just set Options -> Source Control -> Current source control plug-in -> None (It was Microsoft Git Provider.)

The memory usage dropped down drastically.

It seems like that Microsoft Git Provider has some issues.

• Marked as answer by jk_toottoot Tuesday, February 02, 2016 5:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 02, 2016 5:00 AM

All replies

• I think I just have found a solution.

Source Control is the problem.

I just set Options -> Source Control -> Current source control plug-in -> None (It was Microsoft Git Provider.)

The memory usage dropped down drastically.

It seems like that Microsoft Git Provider has some issues.

• Marked as answer by jk_toottoot Tuesday, February 02, 2016 5:00 AM
    Tuesday, February 02, 2016 5:00 AM
  • Hi JK,

Thanks so much for sharing solution here. It will help other members who get the same issue as yours.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 7:05 AM